45A Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 45A rated cooker that I need to get hooked up. I will be getting someone in the do the electrical and gas hook up! I just want to know if I have a problem before I start.

There is a 45A circuit breaker in the consumer unit but the cable I have running from it and going all the way to the kitchen is 6mm.

I am worried that I need 10mm and that i am going to have to pay for someone to run new cable in.

Am I right ?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
The cooker is a Lacanche 'Macon'. It has 2 large ovens rated at 2.5Kw each and another smaller oven/grill rated at 2.4 Kw. There are 5 burners but all are gas. The info with the cooker states that the cooker has to be
connected to a 45 A breaker. The breaker is 45A but I thought that the wiring would need to be 10mm but the wiring I have is 6mm.

I will be getting someone in the do the electrical and gas hook up
Very wise
I just want to know if I have a problem before I start
Fair enough

There are other things to take in to account.
Some questions that need answering are:
What output power is the cooker?
What distance is the cable run?
What method reference was used to calculate the cable size, ie does the cable run through thermal insulation, is it installed in trunking or conduit, is it clipped direct etc...?
were did you get your information from?

These need to be factored in to your calculation for cable sizing.
6.00 t&e can carry a maximum 47A, if clipped direct any other method of installing will lead to de-rating factors and bring down the maximum current carrying capacity of the cable.
Also voltage drop should be considered, so the length of the circuit then comes in to the calculation. With 6.00 T&E the allowance before voltage drop will go beyond the permitted range will be something around the 35m mark.

Sponsored Links
The info with the cooker states that the cooker has to be connected to a 45 A breaker. The breaker is 45A but I thought that the wiring would need to be 10mm but the wiring I have is 6mm.
If the manufactures instruction (MI) state a 45A MCB then, the best advice is to stick to the MI.
6.00mm t&e can carry 47A max. So if no de-rating or voltage drop, then a 6.00mm t&e cable will be suitable for a 45A MCB.
Does the MI allow for the CCU (cooker isolator) to have a socket outlet on it? If not do not install a CCU with socket outlet as this will change the load/output value.

Many thanks for the replies.

The cable run would be about 16m at most and it runs up from the CU into the void in the ceiling above the utility. It then runs across the landing and into the kitchen ceiling void. Then down into the isolation switch (no socket on the isolation switch). It then runs down to the connection for the cooker. There is no insulation and I assume that the wire is clipped to the floor joists.

I have the guys from Fornaux de france ( the manufacturers fitting the cooker). I had told them that the job would just be connection. I don't want to have to rewire now!

Your help is greatly appreciated...

Providing the route the cable takes does not encounter thermal insulation, it sounds fine.
Clipped direct, basically means the cable is clipped and does not run through containment such as conduit/trunking and is free from thermal insulation.
So cables that are buried in walls such as plaster, are still classed as clipped.

After ordering your Lacanche range cooker information will be sent to you detailing what services you will require to power the cooker.

Electricity
Electric feeds will be standard single phase 230 volt supply. On some larger models including many electric features, two such supplies may be required and this will be notified in the information sent to you after placing your order. On request, Lacanche range cookers can be built for three phase electricity.

Did they send you the details?

I've looked at the largest electrical load for a MACON oven & it appears to be 2.4kW + 2.65kW + 2.5kW.

This is 7.55kW = 32.83A @ 230V.

I would go for a 40A circuit & 6 milli should fit the bill, but I ain't done the calcs...

EDIT: Not got the 17th up here, so used the 15th but the VD figures are identical.

On 16m 6milli would lose around 3.85V.

Phew!!

Thanks for all of the replies.

The cooker I have is an old one that we have moved from house to house
(3 x moves). We have had it installed in 2 previous houses both with 10mm wiring already in. It wasn't until I had arranged the fitting of the cooker in the new kitchen that I started to panic. The only info I have from the original installation is the Tech info booklet. I do remember the guy who fitted it in the first house remarking on the size of the 10mm cable. He had difficulty getting it hooked upto the cooker.

Many thanks.
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back