50amp pull cord switch with neon light. Double pole/ Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all new to forum and need some help.

I've just replaced a broken pull cord switch for the shower, the new switch is marked supply and load L&N on either side of the switch, I have 6 wires = 2 live 2 neutral and 2 earth, I have connected the load wires at the top of the switch and the supply at the bottom and the 2 earths, switched power back on and shower works fine but no neon light to indicate its live, I then switched the neutral wires around and the neon light stays on permanent.

Where have I gone wrong.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, you may have the supply and load the wrong way round.

Supply =mains
Load = shower

L +N from each cable should not be crossed. Also check the wires for the neon are properly connected to LOAD.

Regards,

DS

Supply L wire in supply L terminal.
Supply N wire in supply N terminal.

Load L in load L terminal.
Load N in load N terminal.

No other way of doing it.

Often these switches can be faulty from brand new.

Thanks for your replys both.

Just to confirm are the supply wires brown and blue and load red and black from the shower.

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys both.

Just to confirm are the supply wires brown and blue and load red and black from the shower.

Kind regards

Not necessarily.

One cable will have brown and blue. Another cable will have red and black.

But there's no way of telling which is the supply and the load from that.

Is there a loft space, so you can trace which cable goes where?

Or looking inside the shower unit will give some indication - though not absolute proof, if there's a hidden joint somewhere.

I would say it's MUCH more likely that the supply cable will be red and black and the load cable blue and brown. see this quite a lot

:LOL: i would have thought the black and red was to the shower unit, i.e. behind tiles and left well alone ! But just as likely a new shower and re-tiled bathroom on to the old supply cable and switch !

Multimeter i think :eek:

DS

Well, yes but as he appears to have wired it the wrong way round - by the neon - there aren't a lot of other options.

The puzzle is that the neon did not work at all the first time and now does just by swapping the neutral.

The puzzle is that the neon did not work at all the first time and now does just by swapping the neutral.
We don't know that it was the neutrals he swapped around.

Multimeter i think
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

I took the front off the shower and the cables connected inside are black and red + the earth, I'll climb up in the attic in morning to see if there a join up there. Till then the shower is out of order.

Thanks for your advise people

As has already been said these switches can be faulty even when new. I have installed a few Crabtree 50a pull cords with no problems, others will no doubt have their 'preference' but there is some crap in the big sheds.

Regards,

DS

shower works fine but no neon light to indicate its live, I then switched the neutral wires around and the neon light stays on permanent.
If the shower works and the neon doesn't, then the neon/switch is faulty, or the wires to the neon were dislodged when connecting the other wires.

Hi, you may have the supply and load the wrong way round.

Supply =mains
Load = shower

L +N from each cable should not be crossed. Also check the wires for the neon are properly connected to LOAD.

Regards,

DS

I have had many new faulty shower pull cords. (Usually MK - I don't recommend them any more).

One problem I have found with new shower pull cords can be that the neon wiring is loose, and so doesn't light up always.

Another fault seems to be you have to pull the cord three times for the switch to actually switch.

Crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back