6 meter single storey kitchen extension please help

So Tony, if planning is also refused I would be the only house with less than half the width of the house rear extension.
Because even a 3 meter extension would fail PD guidelines.
That surely can't be right.

Sponsored Links
In my mind a side extension projects to the side of the boundary wall.
Do you think planning will object again when I go for full permission or are different criteria used.
Jo
Apologies Jo on the he is a she is a he is a she bit.

Anyway the fact is that it must meet the side extension rules, your own take on what is a rear extension and what is a side extension is irrelevant I'm afraid, if your neighbours have got away with it then that is what they have done, 'got away with it'. Anyway immaterial now as you have unfortunately been rumbled. The planners would have been negligent to have allowed it. Take a look here, it is very specific, pages 21 & 22 http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

Anyway, you will have to submit a planning application for a 6m extension, if you employed me to do it then I would be putting together a supporting statement or document to accompany the application outlining that the neighbours have been consulted and they are all happy for a 6m extension to be built and that if were not for the outside toilet it would have been PD under the neighbourhood scheme. I would justify the size and that its materials will match the existing etc etc. Basically to counter any queries the LA could possibly have. The rules by which the application will be decided, if you really want to find them, will be written in your Local Authority's 'Local Plan'. Every authority has them, its the criteria by which extensions can be decided by, though for this type of application they won't tell you much that is relevant to be honest. It would have been advantageous to have spoken with the officer as they would have given you a steer as to whether it would have flown through or you are in for a battle though appreciate they are now on the sick. The planners I deal with are frequently off sick, it seems that being a planner is extremely stressful! Tony is coming back a planner in his next life.

If you do put one in make sure you speak with the officer after a couple of weeks to badger them for their opinion rather than just sitting back with your fingers crossed.

it seems that being a planner is extremely stressful!

Err, no.

It's just that in the public sector people can skive off work for weeks on end after suffering a paper cut, and nobody in the organisation cares.

Planning departments are run for the benefit of the planners, not the public.
They regard us not as customers but as nuisances.

Thank you, I have a meeting on Friday morning with planning department hopefully they will advise me on planning permission and my chances
Jo

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back