60w mini lantern with PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone help me please. I'm trying to install a new outside light but the wires are different to the old light. I have added pics so you can see the wires on the old light and the new one. Thx for your help. :)

Sponsored Links
Right I'm no sparky but from what i can see is in the old light you have
Live
Neutral
Earth
Switched Live

I'm guessing that you will find that your switch live is from some sort internal switch to override and keep the light on permanently.

Your new light might not have this! or the new version that a combination of on and off will keep the light on instead of PIR

If this is the case leave the Live secure in a block and take your new live from switch live

though some one check what I'm saying

Hope this helps

The new light doesn't have the facility for over-ride using hard wiring.
It is probably a good idea to keep the switch so you can turn it off to change the lamp, to do it this way use yellow as your L, Blue as your N and put the spare red into another piece of terminal block and tuck it away somewhere within the enclosure.
The earth connects to the earth terminal.
The yellow should be sleeved red and the blue sleeved black for ID purposes.

That should work. That "switched live" conductor (yellow) should have a red or brown sleeve (or tape) on it to denote that it is a line conductor.

Sponsored Links
can someone help me please. I'm trying to install a new outside light but the wires are different to the old light. I have added pics so you can see the wires on the old light and the new one. Thx for your help. :)

Will the PIR still work and also it does go to an interior light switch just incase you want the light left on all night. Thx to everyone whos been agreat help. I'll let you all know if it works as i'll do it tomorrow now

The PIR will still work yes, however if you wire it as I said above (you didn't mention the other light) you will need the inside light on for the outside one to work.
You can use the red as the L and block the yellow instead, should work fine with the PIR but you wont be able to switch it off manually.

Will the PIR still work and also it does go to an interior light switch just incase you want the light left on all night. Thx to everyone whos been agreat help. I'll let you all know if it works as i'll do it tomorrow now

Sorry guys i forgot to mention the inside swich has two switches one for outside light and the other for the inside hall light.[/quote]

:D Thx guys for all your help. I have now connected the lantern and it works with the pir and the interior light switch. Thx again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back