6kw on 13amp socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a steam cleaner. When an iron attachment is additionally connected it takes the load to 6kw and consequently trips power from a standard 13amp socket. I have oven and hob on two seperate circuits. Can either of these be utilised? Alternatively what is required to use both appliances correctly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
2990 watts is maximum load 13A will take.
If these two appliances are integrated and used at the same time, you need a designated circuit and outlet that can supply a current of at least 26A. So ideally 32A protective device on a 4.00mm T&E circuit.
Did the appliance come with a plug fitting?
I guess it would also need to be portable, is so a special male and female connection would be needed.

Thanks for the reply and information. Yes the item is supplied with a standard plug as a standalone unit where it is most frequently used, a 13amp socket is perfectly adequate.

it should not be much more than3KW for any item on a plugtop.
That is 3120W at 240V (which we are really still on!) or 2990W at 230V (the declared nominal).
In practice you`d never never put anything over 2.2 KW (less than 10A at 240V) on a plugtop and you should never put two such items in one twin socket .
A dedicated circuit for anything over 2.2Kw (or better still even approaching it) is often the best way to go

Sponsored Links
Did it come with a 13 amp fused plug on the end of it?!

P = I * V
13 * 240 = 3120W

And then it states 6KW on the details of the device?

I should correct my ealier information. I have now looked at the data plate information. The steamcleaner does come with a 13amp fused plug on the end.
The total power is 3000w
Boiler power 2200w
Iron power 800w.

Using the steamcleaner on its own is fine. The power on the socket only trips when the additional iron is attached to the boiler.

Apology for the confusing information..

When an iron attachment is additionally connected it takes the load to 6kw
Where does the iron connect?

and consequently trips power from a standard 13amp socket.
Obviously, 6kW should not be plugged into one double socket but it should not trip the mcb/fuse on a 'normal' 32/30A Ring or Radial
unless other large loads are used at the same time or it is a lower current circuit.

As has been said, a dedicated circuit would be preferable but I was wondering about the above.

Edit - Just seen previous post so even less reason for tripping.

The iron connects to a dedicated connector on the unit. That same connector is also used for attaching other steaming accessories.

Question has to be can the two items be powered independent? If they can then that is likely the best way around the problem however do not plug both into the same socket outlet.

If however one has to be plugged into the other one must ask if it was sold suitable for purpose? Normally items like welding sets which can either be powered from a 16 or 32 amp supply but can when using a low output be powered from a 13A supply then it will be sold with at 16A or 32A plug and an adaptor to allow it to be used from a 13A supply.

Not only does the house supply need to be able to run the combined unit but the cables into the unit also need to be able to take that power. It is normally considered that 2.5mm flex is too big to fit a 13A plug and unless some very special plug was used getting 4mm into a 13A plug is near impossible.

As a result I would not want to suggest using a 32A outlet as it seems unlikely that the existing flex will be able to take that load.

Maybe some pictures and/or links to product adverts will let us see exactly what you have? The PAT testing book informs us that 1.5mm is the largest cable that one can terminate into a 13A plug. (rated 16A) I have squeezed 2.5mm into one in the past but is still only rated 25A so would still not be really thick enough for 6kW (26A) although likely close enough but could not be protected with a 32A overload device and when one uses a 32A plug unlike the 13A it does not contain a fuse so the cable will need to be rated for 32A.

As a PS you say "trips power" which does not sound as if it's blowing a fuse. What is it tripping? Is it a RCD or MCB or RCBO if either of the latter two what amp rating and what letter is before the amp ratting? I would expect something like B32!

I should correct my ealier information. I have now looked at the data plate information. The steamcleaner does come with a 13amp fused plug on the end.
The total power is 3000w
Boiler power 2200w
Iron power 800w.

Using the steamcleaner on its own is fine. The power on the socket only trips when the additional iron is attached to the boiler.

Apology for the confusing information..
Ups missed this bit. Seems as if it may work from 13A plug after all. However see my P.S. as I have a feeling it may be down to start current and you may have a B16 MCB on the supply?

Please state what is tripping?

With the iron connected it just trips that individual circuit.
What's tripping, an MCB or RCBO?

PS

Doh! Too slow....

Still - I hope you've gathered by now that the type and rating of the protective device is vital to know...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back