6M & 1 Metre Boundary rule on 1st floor exception questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hope you all are well.

I kindly would like to seek your advice on the home extensions rules/regulations. The property in relation to my questions is my semi – detached house. I would appreciate if you could kindly help me with the below queries:

1. On the following link https://new.enfield.gov.uk/services/planning/planning-news/new-rules-on-larger-home-extensions/ Enfield Council have stated that applications for 6 Metres rear extensions will have to be completed by 30 May 2016. However according to http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions the completion date must be no more than 30th May 2019. If the Enfield council website is correct and let’s say we were to submit an application for 6 metres which could take roughly 2 months to approve leading to March 2016 then we would only have roughly two months to get this completed which is extremely difficult. Is there any ways around this?

2. Secondly, my understanding is that when applying for a double storey side extension you are required to leave 1 metre gap from the 1st floor neighbours boundary wall as long as the house structure/characteristics of the neighbours property is the same. However our neighbours house was previously a caretaker’s house owned by a Primary School and the characteristics/ Structure of this property is completely different from all other houses on the same street. From my understanding this house is now a residential house and no longer belongs to the school. Also, there is no 1 metre gap from their boundary and this is the original house with no external work ever done to it. Please note this is for both sides of the house witch gives it a terrace house affect in comparison to all the other house on the Street which are semi-detached. My question is that if we were to ever go ahead with a double storey extensions at 3 Swansea Road would we need to comply with the first floor setback boundary rule of 1 metre as there is a difference in the orientation and house type of the neighbouring property?

I was unable to find anything to clear this on my Council's (Enfield) website but however, spending several hours researching this I was able to find similar questions and answers on another council's website (https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/.../sideextensions.pdf). Should my council allow the same exceptions? Also, on the basis if we were to submit the drawings/planning permission to Enfield council without leaving the 1 metre boundary gap for the first floor knowing that the orientation of the Neighbouring property is completely different (Higher roof, Victorian design, Rear of house is roughly 3 Metres deeper than neighbours' property, Windows directly into the school property playground) than all other residential homes on my road will this be approved?

I would appreciate if you could kindly advise on the above.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
1. The Government recently extended the deadline for completion of this type of extension to 2019, so your council has not updated their info.

2. In a Planning context, there are no 'rules' regarding distances to the boundary - it is a matter of policy, which will vary between councils.
This info should be in your council's policy guidelines for domestic extensions.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have looked everywhere for this policy on the Council site and cannot see anything related to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back