6mm shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yeah I know, sorry lads this one again!
Used the search (as long as I could anyway) re shower cable.

CU s about to be changed along with other configurations, relating to new house extension, having read all previous posts regarding shower cable was eventually able to convince the old fella (retired sparks) that my existing 6mm
suppling a 9.5kw shower needed upgrading to 10mm (6mtr run under floor).

Thought everything was ok until I found out the last 2 feet of cable to the shower is buried behind an uninsulated stud wall which is tiled, part of the shower cubicle passes over the tiles in question, from the limited access I can see the cables have been plastered in as well! I aint gonna get that out without demolishing the whole shower room.

The shower room backs onto the airing cupboard from which the services to the shower are supplied, in here is located the shower switch, It would,nt be a problem for me to get 10mm to this switch, leaving me with about a metre of 6mm to the shower, considering whats been said about 6mm and its performance over distance and other routing factors would this be considered a viable/safe option.

thanks once again

Sponsored Links
ian_bates said:
It certainly wouldn't conform with part P regulations

Bit harse

If the shower backs onto the airing cupboard, can you not enter the rear
of the shower through the wall with the new cable??

6mm Clipped direct on a surface will carry 46amp (according to amtech cable calc...regs at work). just about OK for the shower. I would still feel better with 10mm ;)

Don, t start me off on part p after the phone call I made today to my LABC! Thanks anyway,
Lectrician, sorry mate should have said earlier, the showers offset from the cupboard side thats why the cables buried, going straight thru aint an option, I,m still scratching my chin though :confused:

Sponsored Links
ah - well in that case, 6mm may not be ok if it is enclosed or run in thermal :oops:

Just checked with the cable calculator on TLC's website (not a die-hard source of info, I know...):

1 metre serving 9.5kw clipped directy to a wall : 6mm is OK.
1 metre serving 9.5kw enclosed in a thermal wall: you're gonna need 10mm.

I guess it's down to your judgement where your "uninsulated stud wall" falls inbetween the two examples above.

Personally, as ever, I'd go with "safe rather than sorry"....

Gonna have to make a mess then :cry: thanks chaps,

Ban I didnt want to bore ya with more part P stuff, having read your postings I know how ya feel. However, if your interested i,ll have to explain the whole story, are you sitting comfortable?

March 2004 plans for a two storey kitchen & bedroom extension passed, had the builders in, built the shell, watertight etc. Labc involved at relevant stages (young lass).

Doing all internal work myself, although not a tradesman been involved in the building trade all my life enjoy turning me hand to most things, old fellas a retired sparks, used to help him when I was a wee laddy!

Anyway November launch myself into the 1st phase, kitchen. Get round to 1st fix on the lecky bc comes out to check rsj's prior to plastering took the oppurtunity to ask about part p, quote "Don,t know anything about it"
Ok then I,ll just carry on as normal. Don,t get me wrong Ban, I aint trying to cut corners I want to do the job right, conform to all the regs and most of all be safe, (in debt to you fellas).

Things have dragged on with work commitments and so on, kitchens finshed & decorated just about to start upstairs.
So yesterday, still pondering all this part P stuff and where exactly it leaves me I rang my labc.

Question "How does part p affect me given my circumstances"

Reply "Don,t know, you will have to speak to someone else who knows a littlebit more about it, can you ring back Monday"

Question "My plans were passed by building regs, should,nt i have been informed that an aspect of the regs was going to change and affect me?

Reply "I,m not sure theres only one of us who knows more about this new requlation can you ring back Monday"

I know it is,nt compelling reading i just think it highlights your views on Part p and its implementation, I,m gonna carry on any way, at the end I,ll get it all checked out I,ve read the other posts about certs and stuff. :)

i seem to remeber someone posting a quote from one of the schemes sites that said if you got building regs approval for a project before part P then your project isn't under it unless your building regs approval expires (which iirc takes years).

supposed to have finished by the end of march apparantly. my mates in the same position as regards a loft conversion, the building inspector came out the end of march, i made my friend aware of part p, and to ask the inspector about it. the inspectors reply was "you dont need it the job has already been given the go ahead so your alright" now take into account hes not put a single wire in yet.

i think the end of march thing only applies to jobs that didn't need approval in the first place.

afaict once building control have given you the goahead for a job you are in the clear until your approval expires even if the regs change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back