7.5 KW shower

Sponsored Links
Here it is
DSC_0017.jpg

Okay the Gainsborough replacement outlined above - requires a minimum of 6mm2 T&E and 40Amp MCB so you meet the manufacturers criteria except that you don't appear to have RCD protection as well.
If that is the case then I would suggest you get an electrician in to replace you main switch on that shower unit with a main switch that incorporates an RCD or a 40Amp RCBO to replace the MCB - if one can be found.
By the way, in its current state that shower unit is dangerous due to the unprotected access to the buzz bar and cables through the gap on the right.
It might be more appropriate to buy one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-2-way-63a-rcd-board/87896
and add one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-40a-single-pole-type-b-mcb-6ka/83787

No, there is a plastic guard I had to lift to take the photograph so no worries there with the exposed gap. This photographed box is in the kitchen next to the electric box. There is also a jammed red switch in the bathroom cupboard which is the shower switch.

Sponsored Links
Even with the lid cown, there should (must) be ablanking piece to cover the gap to the right of the B40 MCB.

BVut that's OK because you'll be replacing the whole thing, won't you?

No, there is a plastic guard I had to lift to take the photograph so no worries there with the exposed gap. This photographed box is in the kitchen next to the electric box. There is also a jammed red switch in the bathroom cupboard which is the shower switch.
The other thing of course is that the photograph shows that there is still power going to 'jammed red switch' and the broken shower. Switch it off immediately.
Despite your enthusiasm I feel that swopping the shower unit, replacing the shower connection switch and replacing the shower itself are beyong your ability and you should call in an electrician.

The RCD switch in the photograph is connected to the shower. I know this because when I turned it off the shower didn't come on when switched. It doesn't need another RCD box surely ? I need to replace the red on/off switch upstairs which is jammed. I suppose getting an electrician will be expensive. I can only just afford the shower unit replacement and the new switch.

So the flip switch that turns off the shower isn't an RCD, just a normal fuse ?

I could order all the bits and get an electrician in to give me a quote. What would you charge for the job ?

So the flip switch that turns off the shower isn't an RCD, just a normal fuse ?

I could order all the bits and get an electrician in to give me a quote. What would you charge for the job ?

Your picture shows a 63Amp switch dis-connector (not a fuse) and a 40Amp circuit breaker(alternative to a fuse). Non of these provide RCD protection.

There will be several ways to incorporate / achieve RCD protection. You should get an electrician to check this out an provide you with a quotation to complete the work. More than one quotation would be a good idea.

The previous owner of the house was supposed to be someone who should have known this as he did a lot of the work on the house himself. I can't see why he would have a shower wired in incorrectly or is this overzealous recent health and safety legislation ? What does RCD do ?

Iv'e turned it off for now. I know of one local electrician who's rates are reasonable but I wouldn't know any more. If it's gong to be £££ we will just have to do without a shower for a while and use a rubber shower on the bath taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back