8.5 kw shower cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i fitt 8.5 kw shower using 6 mm2 cable 3m from mains board
only thing is its going through loft insulation more than 100mm
would it be ok to use trunking with insulation on top would this effect cable calculations

Sponsored Links
6mm through loft insulation greater than 100mm is rated at 27A (method 101#).
Your 8.5kW shower is rated at (8500/230) 36.96A.

The current carrying capacity of the cable in its installed conditions must be at least the rating of the device it's supplying.

Can you reroute the cable away from the insulation? Clipped direct (method C) with no insulation is rated at 47A.

Sponsored Links
Maybe it's you who didn't understand anything I said?

Easy as in you guessed without looking at table 4D5?

can i fitt 8.5 kw shower using 6 mm2 cable 3m from mains board
only thing is its going through loft insulation more than 100mm
would it be ok to use trunking with insulation on top would this effect cable calculations

Are you seriously trying to tell me that a 6mm cable with a rating of 27A, given its installation method is good for a design current of 36.96A?

I sincerely hope not!

I would advise 10mm and keep the cable away from thermal insulation.

Another example of why electric cables and thermal insulation don't mix.

I would advise 10mm and keep the cable away from thermal insulation.

Another example of why electric cables and thermal insulation don't mix.

Never mind what you would advise him to do,he has already stated
"It is going through loft insulation"
So what cable would you say in your expert opinion, does the OP need for this 3 metre run?

Well, if the terminals won't accept a conductor larger than 10mm then 10mm is the maximum cable size for that given shower.
So, either change the shower, remove the insulation or re-route the cable.

It's not rocket science is it?

OK.
Lets assume that the insulation cannot be moved, and there is no other route whatsoever, would you install the 10mm cable?

I wouldn't install a 10.8kW shower, that's for sure!
10mm in those conditions is rated for a maximum of 36A.
A shower would need to be purchased rated at less than 36A, 8kw maximum.

I wouldn't install a 10.8kW shower, that's for sure!
10mm in those conditions is rated for a maximum of 36A.
A shower would need to be purchased rated at less than 36A, 8kw maximum.

So lets get this right,
if you turned up at a clients house, and they presented you with this shower and there preferred cable route, and the fusebox was 3 metres away, you would tell them your not installing it?

They would need to take my professional advice.
I would recommend an alternative route thus avoiding insulation. If that's not possible then I would inform them that I could install a 10mm cable but it's only rated at 36A and can only supply a shower rated at a maximum of 8kW.

I would NOT install a shower with a rating higher than the current carrying capacity of a cable.

Why is this so difficult to understand? It's like asking me to put a square peg in a round hole - something has to give.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back