8.5 kw shower cable size

Nothing at all wrong with that.

How did you find terminating a 16mm and 10mm in a pull switch? I'm normally tearing my hair out when connecting 2 x 10mm cables even with the deepest backbox I can lay my hands on!

In fact, I hate pull switches :evil:

How'd you do them? I tape the cables together, dress the cores into the terminals really short then slide the cables back up into the ceiling untill the plates in place. Works a treat.

Sponsored Links
How'd you do them? I tape the cables together, dress the cores into the terminals really short then slide the cables back up into the ceiling untill the plates in place. Works a treat.

That's about the only way you can do it. Still find it fiddly though and like tSpark, have been known to crack backboxes :evil:

It's only the odd occasion where I use a pullswitch, I normally use wall switches.

ze 0.17 60898 type b 32 6mm2 cable clipped direct with loft insulation on top
protected by 30 mamp rcd x1 69 ms
thank you for eny feed back
its an old lady 87 just had bathroom dones not wont damage to tilles
i know it would be ok but boss insists shoud be 10mm
im in two minds regs say 10mm common sence says leave it for what she is going to use
what would you recommend
think boss is thinking of money

For starters, an 8.5kw shower is too big for a 32A supply as it requires almost 37A. A 40A supply is required.
As others have said, 6mm installed in insulation is too small to comply with BS7671. Your choices are get it out of the insulation so it can dissipate the heat, install 10mm cable or install a smaller shower.

Sponsored Links
You may want to look at the B32 you're using for an 8.5kW shower, it's undersized.

Even a 10mm cable will only carry 36A via method 101# (insulation exceeding 100mm).

EDIT - beaten by seconds!

fare point i think im just feeling sorry for the old lady
as ive seen 6mm cable to 8.5kw showers in the past with longer runs
and there has been no probs
i guess i should go by regs
and start installing 16mm for 10.5 kw showers in loft installation
:LOL:

It's up to you what you do but be mindful of the Electrical Installation Certificate you complete which states you've complied with BS7671:2008.

Imagine if it ever goes pear shaped and the HSE get involved.....

You may want to look at the B32 you're using for an 8.5kW shower, it's undersized.

Even a 10mm cable will only carry 36A via method 101# (insulation exceeding 100mm).
And for Method 103 it's 32A...

In fact, even with 16mm² and Method 103 the largest shower you can have is 10.2kW (rating at 240V - if the maker has started quoting 230V ratings it's 9.8kW......)

How long, I wonder, before we see 25mm² T/E.... :eek:

I was under the impression that the stuff already existed though it was very rare.

I don't think 103# should even be considered. I would sooner run the cable in a flexible pvc conduit and call it Method A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back