8.5 kw Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6mm cable about 4 metres of it in conduit and rest is clipped to the timber rafters leading to the ceiling above my bathroom, total length of cable is about 14 metres, The consumer unit is protected by RCD, the MCB is 40 amp and I have a 2 pole 45 amp pull switch.
the shower is a 8.5 kw unit :(
is this safe or am I pushing it, also how close can I put the pull switch to the shower, I have avery small bathroom.

Thank you in anticipation

Carl

If I have to buy 10mm where is the cheapest place

I live in Bolton

Sponsored Links
The 8.5KW shower will pull 35amp so yes your mcb is sufficient.
I assume the rcd is 30mA if so it's fine.
The 6mm cable will be ok but it is right on the limit I would go for the 10mm you never know you may decide on a higher wattage shower at a later date.
The 45amp D/P switch, if the measurement from floor to ceiling is over 2.5 meters it can be mounted on the ceiling as this area is outside the required zones, but it can not be within 0.6 meter of the shower cubicle, if that is not possible fit it outside the bathroom.
As already said by Breezer visit the local wholesaler for the 10mm cable cost they all vary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back