<90 degree hinges required for kitchen wall units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is a rhombus and as a result I require some hinges that will prevent the doors from clashing for two kitchen wall units.

Can anybody recommend such a product? My hinge knowledge is not great. Ideally I would like a 75 degree opening.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can get kitchen hinges in 120 degree and greater up to 165 degrees and even 175 degrees in a few cases. Used for corner cupboards, etc But getting them the other way round isn't possible AFAIK. The only thing I can suggest is that you consider fitting quadrant stays and either modifying the stay, or altering the position of the traveller so that it restricts the opening of the door

Thanks JobAndKnock.

Thought I would bump in the hope that somebody knows of something that exists specifically for purpose...

The problem is that what you are asking for specifically is hardly a common requirement, mainly because kitchens are invariably rectangular. I did have a look through my catalogues last time (which is basically all the majors available here, e.g. Blium, Hettich, Salice, Mepla, Grass, Hafele, etc) and none of them do what you require

Sponsored Links
They are designed for full size doors or windows from the look of it which will mean that they are actually pretty big - in fact the first one may be so heavy it might end up ripping your door off it's hinges in a relatively short period (after all 18mm MDF with two small screws holding it?)

When I mentioned quadrant stays before I was referring to something like these which you'd fit to the upper door. By altering the position of the stop (the little strap, which would be screwed to the underside of the cabinet top) you could control the degree of opening. I'd look for smaller ones than those, though - more cabinet sized, like these but ideally with a simple stop, not the locking screw type one (which will undoubtedly fall off in service)

Yep. That's the sort of thing. The end stop can be moved to restrict the degree of opening

Question for you, j&k..
I've a related issue in my kitchen, where the left wall proceeds with some cabinets, turns left 45 degrees, more cabinets, then another left 45 degrees and more cabinets. The cabinets wrap around the outside of the curve so between my mounted cabinets there will be a cheese wedge shape with 45 degree angle at the point and I will fit a cabinet door across the front of the opening. This means that when closed the hinge angle will be less than 90 degrees (72.5 to be exact). Do you know if such hinges are available ?

I'm sure what you're looking for doesn't exist because it doesn't NEED to exist. a hinge which opens less than 90 degrees is the same as a hinge which does open to 90 degrees - it's just not opened as far...

Nozzle

I'm sure what you're looking for doesn't exist because it doesn't NEED to exist.
I think my original comments were on the same lines......... Added to which if you can't open the doors 90 degrees how do you hang them onto the cruciform plates?

I'm sure what you're looking for doesn't exist because it doesn't NEED to exist. a hinge which opens less than 90 degrees is the same as a hinge which does open to 90 degrees - it's just not opened as far...

Nozzle

er.. I thought the point was that euro hinge's movement range is between 90 and 180 degrees (let's say) rather than between 0 and 180 degrees, like a butt hinge - i'm after a euro hinge that is capable of resting in a closed position at an angle of about 72.5 degrees

So.. Time has come to actually fit the kitchen and I'm still on the lookout for these hinges..

Turns out, they do exist!

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/images/External/pages/15DSH380-381.pdf

The key, it seems, is to search for "negative angle" in combination with e.g. Cabinet Hinge.

Salice do up to 45 degrees, bough I'm hoping that the Hafele 24 will suffice for my application in mounting a door at 45 degrees to its neighbour, round an external corner

I'm wondering if anyone here has a trade account with a Hafele supplier, and can see these hinges available for order through that supplier? I've yet to find a web store that a) looks trustworthy and b) has them for sale...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back