'96 Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec Front Wishbones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here know the nut size of the front bush on the wishbone of this vehicle? My Britool 17mm combi wouldn't go on, and I didn't have an 18mm so went and got a Torq one from B and Q, the only place open. It seems pretty shoddy quality to me, and the fit is very sloppy. I don't want to put any force on it really, I'm sure it's going to round the nut off? Is it an 18mm nut? The bolt is 15mm by the way.

Sponsored Links
Furthermore, is the Haynes correct in that only Nyloc nuts should be renewed, ie, no stretch bolts used on the Mark 4 (unlike the mark 3)? And can all the bolts be tightened before the weight of the vehicle is applied to the suspension? (Again, unlike the mark 3, you can tell I've only done a M3 before) This seem to be what Haynes is saying.

Oh well, surprised nobody knew this, must be a very common job. All done now, and it is an 18 mm nut with very little space to turn the spanner. I'd recommend anyone doing this to turn the nut rather than the bolt, which seems to round off easily! There is just enough room for a combi spanner if you turn it over after each tiny movement. I got a bit of heat on it beforehand too. And out of interest I tightened the front bushes after putting the wheels back on and lowering the car. Just seemed sensible somehow. It's of no consequence to the rear bush.

Sponsored Links
Back