a 2 gang 2 and 1 way switch into a 2 gang 2 way switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im new here but we have a 2 gand switch with a 2 way and 1 way on it .
I would like to turn the 1 way into a 2 way. i have installed the wires etc but as in a certain way the switch will turn off both lights, how do i make them seperate.
i hope i have made myself clear (give me decorating any day )

Sponsored Links
You didn't make a note of which wire went where before altering things?

Tell us what you have changed and how it is wired up now, with pictures if possible.

It looks like you have mixed up the switch wires of the two lights so that they are operating together.

hi i have put 3 pics on my profile page .
1st pic how the old switch was.
2nd pic how i have now wired both switches.
3rd pic is how the new 2 way is wired .
hope this help :mad: :oops:

The first picture of the old switch - switch on left shows a wire in each of the top terminals, and the bottom terminal empty.

It is usual for the terminals next to each other to be known as L1 or L2, and the terminal on its own is the common.

Ocassionally some switches do have the common in an unusual place.

Can you please clarify how the terminals on that old 2 gang switch are marked up.

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for all your time.i have tried so many ways with the wires with no joy and got into a right pickleso i think with your help i will start again from scratch.
1 have 2 x 3 core grey wires red, black and earth on each.
1 is a 2 way switch
1 is a 1 way switch
how do i wire them up to work as they should do.
please :evil: :mad: :oops: :confused:

The first picture of the old switch - switch on left shows a wire in each of the top terminals, and the bottom terminal empty.

It is usual for the terminals next to each other to be known as L1 or L2, and the terminal on its own is the common.

Ocassionally some switches do have the common in an unusual place.

Can you please clarify how the terminals on that old 2 gang switch are marked up.

So you can't answer my question.

In that case I suggest you put the following in the gang of the 2 gang switch you are having trouble with;

Common = new red

L1 = new yellow, old red link

L2 = new blue, old black

Leave other gang as it was

Leave new 1 gang 2 way switch as it is.

EDITED FOR MISTAKE

cheers for the reply i do think i know what you mean, but as my last reply i just have wires showing red/black which is for the 1 way switch and another red/black for a 2 way switch so i would like to set them up as they were before i tried to make the 1 way a 2 way .
cheers

hi my original drawing which my 1st pic was based on must be wrong as the 2 way worked perfect but no power to the 1 way switch.
i have tried 7 different options to no joy of both switches working as they did before i started.
thats why i thought it may be easier with just the wires hanging from the wall.

It would appear the one way switch wires would go as follows;
red to common
black to L1
a link from common to...

...the common on the other switch (same 2 gang faceplate)
then on other cable
red to L1 or 2
black to L2 or 1

This is PROBABLY how it was orginally, without the new 2 way.

To add the 2 way,
put the link to adjacent switch and the new yellow in L1
old black in L2 with new blue
new red in common

Work safely, make sure power is off. If in doubt don't do it.

It would be very helpful for you to confirm the markings on the old and new switches.

Are you aware how a 2 gang switch is divided into two separate switches? By looking at the back you should see a line dividing the back into two switches. Each individual switch has three terminals, USUALLY marked as COM, L1 and L2. This can vary.

EDITED FOR MISTAKE.

sorry about that .
the old switch in the first pic is the same on both switches has cracked thats why im changing it.

top t1 t2/ t1 t2
bottom c x/ c x

the new switch i will be fixing until its been plastered is

top L1 L2 / common
bottom common / L1 L2

hi my original drawing which my 1st pic was based on must be wrong as the 2 way worked perfect but no power to the 1 way switch.
i have tried 7 different options to no joy of both switches working as they did before i started.
thats why i thought it may be easier with just the wires hanging from the wall.

The problem here was the red would go in either com or L1
and the black would go in the remaining com or L1
In other words only com and L1 would be used.

Since you did not confirm the markings on this switch, I can only refer to the terms com, L1 and L2.

To add the 2 way, thw wires have to be put in different terminals.

Ok,
com = cx
t1 = L1
t2 - L2

In the first pic, the one way switch should have used the cx and t1 terminals. Either way round. Usual for red to be in cx or com.

That will get the switching working for one way operation.

Remember, on a 2 gang switch,
1st switch consists of com, L1, L2
2nd switch consists of com, L1, L2

c

L1 L2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back