a business from your home?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it legal to run a business from your home?
I don't mean as in self employed, using it as the "office" for doing invoices etc, I mean actually working there making stuff?
I know that some people do laundry and clothes alterations and other "cottage industries", but I was thinking today about seeing if I can get some work making control panels in my spare room or shed..

It's only a possible idea for the time being, but if I can get the contacts and it's viable, it might be a starting step..
I'd eventually get a unit somewhere if it took off..

Sponsored Links
yes it is.
Be wary though, whilst you can then claim expenses for heating, lighting etc... you may then fall foul of "business rates" from your local council.

I guess if you are a tenant then there could be something prohibiting such activities in your tenancy agreement.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your impending redundancy

Dan

Depends on the nature of the business.

You may need planning permission if the use of the building changes significantly, there may be a covenant in the deeds for the property restricting business use.

So if you needed planning permission or a covenant prevented it and you went ahead then it could be illegal, but otherwise should be ok.

You need to also inform your insurer and make sure you have insurance to cover the tools/materials etc as you home contents may not cover it. (This is less about legality and more about making sure you don't void your insurance).

Sponsored Links
i was stoped by the council from running a business from home when someone reported me. it took them two years to shut me down

Back