Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I've read lots of posts, the things that normally get asked I think I can say up front...so looking for an opinion on whether it will be worth installing a second shower in a new bathroom (which will become the primary shower - the electric one will be for the kids/backup).

So - for the background.

We currently have low flow rate to the house (40m pressure, 5 litres per minute flow), but not to the stop-tap outside where it is 45 pressure, 20-25 litres per minute. Should have known really as there is a laundrette just up the road. We've got old lead pipe from the street to the house with jammed internal stopcock, so this looks like the culprit.

I've had a man around to quote replacing the lead main from the road to the house (with 32mm plastic pipe) which will be routed up through to wherever it needs to go. It's going to be moled (I live in a Victorian terrace) under the front steps and into the porch. As an aside, can I check that moling is essential?

The old lead pipes will be capped off. As an aside, I don't know if these are worth anything.

So once I've done all of that...the boiler upstairs is a Ferroli Modena 80, output is 24kw, which I understand would give me 9 litres of hot water per minute (I only think I understand this - so if anyone thinks that is wrong please let me know). So presuming the flow from the street stops being the problem (if I'm only getting 5 litres of cold per minute now, presumably that is all the boiler can get) - the next restriction is the capacity of the boiler.

Is the output from a combi that size enough to better what a 10.5 kw electric shower would manage? Or am I looking at changing the boiler as well?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Boiler will be fine. Boiler with a bigger output would of course give a better flow rate but the one you have will be ok, and better than an electric shower.

I have a 24kw combi and (when the mains is good) the shower is fine. I use one of those water saving shower heads, and it can be a very decent pressure shower. Definitely better than any electric shower I've tried.

Sponsored Links
Moling is easiest, you could of course dig a 1m deep trench but that's a lot more work and mess

Lead is worth a bit but is it worth the hassle of digging it out? Probably not

If you've got a Modena you're lucky to be getting anything at all - they aren't the most reliable. Parts are expensive too

If you're expecting to run both showers at the same time, I'd put a Mira Sport Max 10.8 in as the second shower - if your electrics can cope! That way, when the Ferroli breaks (which it will), you'll still be able to shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back