A Few Days Ago.........

S

Shutpa

..........I had an appointment with a very bright young student of mathematics in the capital. So just after 7am I boarded the train, got my seat and began to go over the past paper that my student had had been having problems with. And I became so engrossed that I wasn't aware that most of the seats had been taken. I did become aware that the guy sitting next to me who was just a little obese, had not showered, bathed, or made any other attempt to rid himself of extreme B.O.. I also became aware of the fact that all other seats had now been taken and that I had no option but to stay where I was. I glanced at my unwelcome travelling companion. He was unshaven, looked dirty and unkempt and was using an e-cigarette. Is that allowed on a train?He pulled out a mobile with a very large screen,and when he tapped the keyboard a few times and when the familiar diynot screen appeared I was gobsmacked. He then accessed the GD forum and began to key a reply to the Dr Andrew Wakefield thread.
Arriving in London, I addressed him by his user name and said, "Good morning *******, I'm bolo on diynot, have a nice day". It was his turn to be gobsmacked!

Sponsored Links
Disappointing to hear that a semi-retired Northern plumber doesn't make enough use of baths and showers. Perhaps he was travelling home after his holiday.

a semi-retired Northern plumber doesn't make enough use of baths and showers.
Maybe the back door was jammed and he could not get out to fetch the tin bath hanging on the wall outside.

Or maybe it is a modern house with the big white coal store next to the toilet.

Sponsored Links
cryptic or true
or somewhere in between :D
100% true big-all and I can't stop thinking about it! To be honest, apart from one poster I would really love to meet in person, I've never given a second thought to the sort of people who are behind the various user names. However, now that I've encountered one, I have started to wonder. BTW, I held back on the details of my fellow travellers description.

Disappointing to hear that a semi-retired Northern plumber doesn't make enough use of baths and showers. Perhaps he was travelling home after his holiday.
John the guy was no plumber because without exaggeration, if he came to my door, I wouldn't let him in! As I said to big-all, I held back on my description.

You surprise me bolo. You could have just said you'd met another DIYnot poster without the gory details.

Perhaps we should spare a thought for Hank Williams lyrics:

"Men With Broken Hearts"

You'll meet many just like me upon life's busy street
With shoulders stooped and heads bowed low and eyes that stare in defeat
Or souls that live within the past where sorrow plays all parts
Where a living death is all that's left for men with broken hearts
You have no right to be the judge to criticize and condemn
Just think but for the grace of God it would be you instead of him
One careless step a thoughtless deed and then the misery starts
And to those who weep death comes cheap these men with broken hearts
Oh so humble you should be when they come passing by
For it's written that the greatest men never get too big to cry
Some lose faith in love and life when sorrow shoots her darts
And with hope all gone they walk alone these men with broken hearts
You've never walked in that man's shoes or saw things through his eyes
Or stood and watched with helpless hands while the heart inside you dies
Some were paupers some were kings and some were masters of the arts
But in their shame they're all the same these men with broken hearts
Life sometimes can be so cruel that a heart will pray for death
God why must these living dead know pain with every breath
So help your brother along the road no matter where he starts
For the God that made you made them too these men with broken hearts

You two great detectives ought to be in the South Yorkshire Police, or maybe the Met.
Which one is Carrot and which one is Powell?

I'm crying after watching that! Well tears of laughter. So funny.

It's precisely the reaction of you and others to bolo's description why I think he should not have mentioned the gory details.
If he'd have thought a little more, the knowledge that he had, would have been sufficient, without displaying that knowledge.

Last edited:
You surprise me bolo. You could have just said you'd met another DIYnot poster without the gory details.

And:

If he'd have thought a little more, the knowledge that he had, would have been sufficient, without displaying that knowledge.

Look again at the title of the thread Himaginn! This was not a knee-jerk reaction and as I said to big-all:

I can't stop thinking about it.

Now why do you think that is Himaginn? Let me give you a clue.

I held back on the details of my fellow travellers description.

I did not publish the gory details Himaginn and that's all I can say on the subject.

Now why do you think that is Himaginn? Let me give you a clue.
I held back on the details of my fellow traveller's description.

I did not publish the gory details Himaginn and that's all I can say on the subject.
You could have said, "He was a big fellow, large eyes, one green and one blue, red hair, etc. It would have meant little. It still would not have identified the poster. Whereas to describe the fellow as obese, smelly etc, is putting them down. You didn't need to do that, and if you did, you'd done enough by introducing yourself.
I can understand you introducing yourself and becoming engaged in conversation, however short, but to introduce yourself and walk away is strange behaviour. It was obviously intended as a snub, a statement of something.

I could add, instead of giving me a clue why you did, explain precisely, but I'm not that interested.
I just think it was unnecessary, especially from you. The sort of behaviour I would expect from others.

Sponsored Links
Back