A question: why does my 1930's house have 2 outlets from the sewage inspection chanber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to clear the feed from the kitchen to the main sewage inspection chamber in my garden. Only a short distance so it was quick to do. On lifting the inspection chamber I assumed I would find this was exposing the main sewage run for the other house in the road; so an inlet and outlet. I found instead I had two outlets one directly above the other both angled slightly down and further into the garden. When I tried to push a rod into the bottom outlet it seemed to hit a load of gravel as if it was a soak-away. I didn't pursue anymore as this part of the system was running fine - no evidence of any build up of anything in the inspection chamber and I proved that this was where all water and sewage runs through.

So can anyone explain this arrangement please - very curious.....

Sponsored Links
I have found some thing similar. The bottom outlet goes into a trap (U bend). The top one should be sealed with a plug and is used to rod out the main run the other side of the trap. So find a plug and use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner get the gravel out of the Trap.
Frankl

OP, is it an"inspection chamber" or the larger possibly deeper manhole?
I can imagine the possibility that you have a kitchen waste gulley - you also have an independent soil pipe - you also have a down pipe gulley all entering the chamber? Am i right or wrong?
Plus the neighbour's sewer is running through your chamber?

I have never heard of a house trap on a common sewer - but I live and learn?

Can you post a photo looking down the chamber?

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Photos as requested

The pipe on the right is from a new ensuite and the pipe at the top on left is a vent

OP, is it an"inspection chamber" or the larger possibly deeper manhole?
I can imagine the possibility that you have a kitchen waste gulley - you also have an independent soil pipe - you also have a down pipe gulley all entering the chamber? Am i right or wrong?
Plus the neighbour's sewer is running through your chamber?

I have never heard of a house trap on a common sewer - but I live and learn?

Can you post a photo looking down the chamber?

Photo posted. No feeds from neighbours only from my property.

Single feed from my property (apart from new pipe from ensuite). The soil pipe and other waste pipes are all in a line at the side of property so assume they all collect and then run into this inspection chamber

Yes, looks like a trap as in stuart45's google link above.

NigelCollins, I'm curious about your drainage arrangements.

So no neighbour's drainage - why did you expect to find it running through your manhole?
Where is the kitchen waste ("the feed from the kitchen") outlet in the manhole?
What is the "top left vent" venting?
Does the"ensuite" have a WC?
If the bottom hole has a "load of gravel" in it how come its able to take (apparently) the total house drainage when its blocking the progress of your rod?

newboy, I'm confused - are you responding to me or replying to the OP?

Either or both!

To the OP - that addition of the waste from the en-suite is dreadful. If there's a WC in the en-suite then over time the benching is going to be covered in tissue and waste.

that addition of the waste from the en-suite is dreadful. If there's a WC in the en-suite then over time the benching is going to be covered in tissue and waste.

Agreed. Does anyone have a diagram of what it's supposed to look like? I'm sure I've seen a good one linked previously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back