A Really Ridiculous Statement

Sponsored Links
This is where you come to latent heat, boil a pan of water it won't rise above 100 degrees C as long as the steam can escape. If you leave the gas on, the heat you are introducing will be carried away in the steam while the water left in the pan stays at 100. Until there is no water left of course then things start to get really hot.
And if you put a heat exchanger with cold water running through it above the pan the steam will give up some of its latent heat and pass it to the water while being cooled a little itself.

Sponsored Links
This is where you come to latent heat, boil a pan of water it won't rise above 100 degrees C as long as the steam can escape. If you leave the gas on, the heat you are introducing will be carried away in the steam while the water left in the pan stays at 100. Until there is no water left of course then things start to get really hot.
And if you put a heat exchanger with cold water running through it above the pan the steam will give up some of its latent heat and pass it to the water while being cooled a little itself.
Spoken like a real gas engineer :D

Time to google latent heat. Well, maybe tomorrow, hiccup ;)

What if the steam can't escape?

Pressure rises, boiling point rises, pressure rises more, boiling point rises more etc. etc. until something goes bang. Very big bang, instantaneous expansion of 1600 times water volume on exposure to air.

Pressure rises, boiling point rises, pressure rises more, boiling point rises more etc. etc. until something goes bang. Very big bang, instantaneous expansion of 1600 times water volume on exposure to air.
I remember that 1600 fact in one of the multiple choice questions in my little online (pre NVQ2, monkey qualification college, cost me a couple of grand :oops: )test.

Well, it was interesting, plus I learned how to do my own wetwork. So not all an entire waste :)

So what were you doing taking that, were you thinking of a career change?

So what were you doing taking that, were you thinking of a career change?
Obviously. Mid life crisis and all that. Interesting and enjoyable. That's how I ended up on here, to help where possible and to learn.

What I learnt most is that you're a bunch of pro's who know stuff and that I knew stuff too, but in a different time-served profession. Each to their own, eh?

Can the water in the spud never go beyond 100 if it's in a 180 oven? Sounds like a paradox to me
Not really a paradox. Think like the water is acting as a coolant like in a car engine for example.
True, but the airflow from travelling at speed would act as a coolant. Where is the equivalent in an oven???

Am I being really dense???

The water will only act as a coolant as log as it can escape as steam, once the water's gone the spud will burn.

Can the water in the spud never go beyond 100 if it's in a 180 oven? Sounds like a paradox to me
Not really a paradox. Think like the water is acting as a coolant like in a car engine for example.
True, but the airflow from travelling at speed would act as a coolant. Where is the equivalent in an oven???

Am I being really dense???
Water will the cool the engine even if the car is stood still. Granted, it will be a lot less efficient but it will still prevent things from going to ridiculous temperatures.

As said, as long as water is present it will regulate the temperature. Lose the water ant the temps will shoot up.

Sponsored Links
Back