A Really Ridiculous Statement

Can the water in the spud never go beyond 100 if it's in a 180 oven? Sounds like a paradox to me
Not really a paradox. Think like the water is acting as a coolant like in a car engine for example.
True, but the airflow from travelling at speed would act as a coolant. Where is the equivalent in an oven???

Am I being really dense???
Water will the cool the engine even if the car is stood still. Granted, it will be a lot less efficient but it will still prevent things from going to ridiculous temperatures.

As said, as long as water is present it will regulate the temperature. Lose the water ant the temps will shoot up.
Bear with me, please :oops: ? Is it impossible for water to be heated to several thousand degrees in a (very strong) enclosed vessel?

Sponsored Links
Of course it's not impossible, but the pressure inside that very strong vessel would be incredible.

Sponsored Links
Bit like the warning on packets of peanuts; "Warning, may contain nuts." :LOL:

Peanuts are not actually nuts they are legumes (pea family) therefore it's a perfectly reasonable warning to advise that the packet may have traces of nuts in there. Although quite why a packet of something-that-isn't-a-nut should have nut-traces in it is beyond me :?:

This is where you come to latent heat, boil a pan of water it won't rise above 100 degrees C ...
You've obviously never had a cup of tea at Macdonalds. They've somehow managed to get water up to 120°C.

Bit like the warning on packets of peanuts; "Warning, may contain nuts." :LOL:

Peanuts are not actually nuts they are legumes (pea family) therefore it's a perfectly reasonable warning to advise that the packet may have traces of nuts in there. Although quite why a packet of something-that-isn't-a-nut should have nut-traces in it is beyond me :?:

because it is produced/manufactured in a factory where nuts are also used in produce,hence the possibility of cross contamination.

Sorry guys I am stuck in hospital (yet again...!) with limited access...

I was complaining not so much about the wording of the statement but the fact that it is there at all speaks volumes about our namby-pamby society.
Fair enough third parties labelling their food as hot because you don't know how hot it is as you did not prepare it.

But in the case of home heated foods, you DO know. So you don't need to be told by the manufacturer that when you take it out of the oven it is going to be hot, to whatever degree.

On the science side of things, the sugar in the pudding is essentially sucrose in solution which has a higher bp than water and the more moisture that is driven off, the higher the bp becomes.

Sponsored Links
Back