A slight twist to Electrics to a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a number of sheds recently with electrical supplies and what i have noticed is none of them 'appear' to be fixed to the ground.

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether or not there is a 'requirement' for them to be 'fixed' down if power is supplied to them?

The reason I ask this one is that a friend is having his garage converted to an office next month and wants to put the freezer and tumble dryer in a new shed.

It will be a new shed as in the high winds last year he called me to help retrieve his old one from the farmers field next door.

He has asked me to install the eletrical supply which I am happy to do, but told him I will wnat to 'bolt' the shed down before hand.

Of course he asked why, so I pointed to the field and said' remember!'

Any thoughts chaps

Sponsored Links
presumably its because the shed wont move due to its sheer weight.

Not from experience but I would think that it makes sense that the shed should be safely fixed to the ground with or without electrical supply.

My approach is that you have minimum requirements for safety but there is no limit if you wish to do more. Check the two options and see what can happen if the shed is not fixed (see "farmers field") and in the other hand if it is fixed; it cannot be an expensive thing to do and the advantage is obvious (unless they are travelers :LOL: )
Good luck

i would not bother, most sheds nowdays are "extra thick cardboard" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Don't they melt in the rain anyway? :D

Most modern sheds will still get blown away, all that will happen is that there will be a couple of bits of wood left bolted to the base.

A shed with a tumble drier and freezer would take a fair wind to blow it of course!

Ah - nails.

No screws?

Unlike, of course, the way that house roofs are put together, eh? You'd never find a roofer up there with a nail gun, would you.

Nor lower down would you find anybody else using nails to make the frames for partition walls, or to fix down floorboards...

As I said they are all great... :LOL:
I never found a screw in a fuse but many times a nail so we are all the same... :oops:

as ever we have managed to turn it into a circus :LOL:

There is no way he is going to may out for a good shed made of real wood, he is tighter than knats chuff.

thanks anyway

i would not bother, most sheds nowdays are "extra thick cardboard" :LOL:

The shed in my back garden, will still be here when my timber and dry wall dormer house is long gone I think. It is solid wood

I just want to put 3 twin sockits & a 70Watt strip light in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back