A straight line where wall meets ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having huge difficulties getting a straight line where the wall meets the ceiling when painting the walls a different colour to the ceiling.

Have tried masking tape - it pulls off the paint it's attached to (it's dry and has been for over 24 hrs.

Have tried a straight line gadget from homebase (like a plastic ruler) but paint seeped behind it on to the ceiling.

Have tried by hand with an artists brush and it still looks rubbish!

There must be a great way of doing this! I'm desperate to find a method that works! Help!

Sponsored Links
Theres only one tried and tested method..a good brush, a steady hand..and a bit of practice..

Invest in a 3 inch Hamiltion or a purdy..

Always load the brush well but dont got straight at the line..work up towards it in shallow archs..use the side of the brush not the corners, they dont hold much pain and youl end up going over the same bit to get some paint on it...the more you have to do that the more chnce of hitting the ceiling.

I'm far from being a pro but I thin my emulsion paint down when cutting in around ceilings. The bristles of the brush spread easier and you get a good enough line.
Downside is you won,t cover it with one coat but its a hell of alot easier!
I'm not a massive fan of masking tape and it takes alot of time. :)

you could always use some lo tack marsking tape that way you will acheive the straight line you want.

Sponsored Links
Forget all the gadgets, they are a waste of time. Thin the paint slightly, around 10%; faced with this scenario, practically everybody will pick up a small, 1 inch brush to cut in but that’s a big mistake. As Zampa says, what you need is a good quality, 2/3 or even a 4 inch brush but not too long in the bristle. Push the brush into an arch, maintaining a steady pressure & draw it along the line of the ceiling; difficult to explain but once you done it, you will know & see how easy it actually is to get that straight line; the wide brush actually makes it far easier & not more difficult as most would imagine. ;)

Thanks everyone - looks like I need a nice new wide brush!

I'll be back on here if that doesn't work but I've renewed hope that I don't have to resort to coving!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back