A Young Religion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Everybody will know which one I am talking about.

It is, compared to others, a very young religion. Other religions have been accused of being brutal in the dim and distant past but are no longer.

Do you think that when this religion "matures", things will change, as they have with other religions?

Sponsored Links
It seems to be working with the Mormons. As far as I know, they have not massacred large numbers of nonbelievers for quite a few years.

Religions seem to mould themselves to the circumstances and cultures in which they flourish. So the gods of the Vikings were violent and the gods of the Greeks were lecherous, and the god of the Jews was obsessed by land ownership. Man created his gods in his own image.

Wider consumption of Marmite may also help.

Was the 'maturing' of other religions forced on it from external influences, or was it because of internal reflection?

It may have been due to proselytising into other regions of the world, where cultural traditions differed. For example, absorbing Christmas and Easter festivals into Christianity, to suit northern Europeans, or rebuilding Orthodox Judaism to look Eastern European. The Anglican faith is much more aligned to Southern England in its attitudes than is the Roman Catholic church from which it separated by mitotis.

Moving the headquarters of the religion out of the Middle East means that the leader of organisation has a different outlook, as does recruiting a chief from South America instead of Italy.

The Orthodox Christian church is Russia is unsurprisingly different in attitude from the Greek Orthodox church. By coincidence, the Russian church happens to share many of the views of Mr Putin, so it now fits less well in Ukraine and the Baltic states.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Everybody will know which one I am talking about.

It is, compared to others, a very young religion. Other religions have been accused of being brutal in the dim and distant past but are no longer.

Do you think that when this religion "matures", things will change, as they have with other religions?

1400 years is hardly "very young". Also I believe there are strong factions within islam which are highly resistant to change.

1400 years is hardly "very young"
Funnily enough, Christianity was 1590 years old when English heretics were burned at the stake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_burned_as_heretics#Protestant_Countries

After hanging, drawing and quartering in 1678 of William Staley, his head was stuck on a spike on London Bridge.

A woman was burned to death in 1789 for counterfeiting

The last English beheading was of political dissidents, in 1820.

Hanging, drawing and quartering was abolished in England in 1870.

So perhaps you are wrong.

Had you been alive at the time, you could have gone to London's last public execution on the Tube.

Last edited:
highly resistant to change.

Well there's a thing.

Very fond of traditional or outdated rules and regalia

Strongly committed to forbidding normal human sexuality and family life to the employees.

For example, absorbing Christmas and Easter festivals into Christianity, to suit northern Europeans,
I wouldn't call it 'absorbing'. Christians organised there pretend events to take over Pagan festivals.

Old or young, I don't want to wait several hundred years for someone to tell the truth and common sense to prevail.

When did they have public hangings on the tube?

1400 years is hardly "very young"
Funnily enough, Christianity was 1590 years old when English heretics were burned at the stake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_burned_as_heretics#Protestant_Countries

After hanging, drawing and quartering in 1678 of William Staley, his head was stuck on a spike on London Bridge.

A woman was burned to death in 1789 for counterfeiting

The last English beheading was of political dissidents, in 1820.

Hanging, drawing and quartering was abolished in England in 1870.

So perhaps you are wrong.

Had you been alive at the time, you could have gone to London's last public execution on the Tube.

Yes yes yes, and what point are you trying to make. Christianity took a bit longer so it's only fair that we wait a couple of hundred more years in the hope that Islam will go through a transformation and become a true religion of peace?
Or....Christianity was barbarous so it's ok for Islam to be the same?
I say 1400 years is plenty l ong enough for people to learn the error of they and their forbears ways, especially in islams case as they have had the example of christianity reformig itself to learn from.
I also say the world would be a far better place in the absence of islam, christianity and all of the other phony belief systems there are and I don't see why we should have to wait in the hope that islam will "mature" as scurespark calls it.

the example of christianity reformig itself to learn from.
I wouldn't say Christianity has 'reformed itself' as such; they have changed, and Pope Francis continues to change their rules to keep up with the laws of the lands where they want to remain in a position of strength.
It is not progress on the part of the church but, quite frankly, hypocrisy at the highest level.

Unfortunately, in muslim countries it is the religious leaders who make the laws.
If Pope Francis and his fellows still made the laws we would not have progressed as we have.

Therefore it must the enlightened - at least agnostics if not atheists - who have realised the folly of religious requirements and ignored it in law-making.

Could someone answer this:
Why are the hard line muslims not upset by the likes of Sadiq Khan being clean shaven and wearing western clothes?
Have I missed any of them complaining about him? If not, why can they not all do this?
Or does Trojan Horse come to mind?

Who is the equivalent of the Pope in Islam?

There isn't one.

Just a lot of individual leaders doing what they think and say Mo told them to do.

You know what committees are like.

Sponsored Links
Back