About to lay a solid wood floor on a new concrete floor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be laying a DPM first but should I check the floor with a dampness meter first? and if so what one should I buy?

The floor has been down a minimum of 6 months.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hygrometer. About 100-150quid . Takes 24- 72 hrs to get correct reading. Only test that is to british standard. Or protimeter 400+quid or tramex 800+ quid, Guess you wont be spending this much.

mattysupra said:
hygrometer. About 100-150quid . Takes 24- 72 hrs to get correct reading. Only test that is to british standard. Or protimeter 400+quid or tramex 800+ quid, Guess you wont be spending this much.

Ok, but is it something I need to do if I'm putting down a DMP first?

With your new concrete underfloor between 6 - 8 months old: YES!

Sponsored Links
The hss hire meter is only accurate on testing real wood. It is only a indicator for concrete. We use them to find the wettest area of concrete we want to test with a hygrometer. They are good but not accurate. Like they cant tell the difference between condensation and moister trapped in the concrete slab. As woody has said tho, if the concrete base is 6 months old then there wont be a problem with combi dpm underlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back