About to put up lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon everyone.

I am about to decorate my flat and am very new to decorating.

The long and short of it is that I have had mould grow on some walls due to condensation. I have come to conclusion that I am going to put polystyrene warmaline onto the areas that have been affected to try to insulate them.

I have heard it can be a nightmare to use, but feel it is the only way I am ever going to solve problem. Any advice for the best way to put up would be greatly appreciated.

On top of that I will be hanging lining paper horizontally, as I have been told I have to as the warmaline polystyrene will be hung vertically.

How do I finish off the lining paper joints to make them look as good as possible. I propose to butt them against each other. Is there a filler I can buy to smooth over the joints.

Apologies for the long winded question. Any comments or help would be so greatly appreciated.

Regards

george0401

Sponsored Links
lining paper goes horiz if used under a wallpaper :eek: if it`s to be painted , I`d stagger the joins over the polystyrene sheet joins and butt neatly but don`t fill them

Have you used polystyrene sheets before?

Just be carefull, as I have only come across them once, admittidly they were still on the wall and client wanted me to line over them, I found it a pain to work with.

You can clean the mould off with either products in the shops, or some bleach, and have some decent ventelation in the flat.
Even after you have washed the mould stains off, and if there is any marks still showing,you can paint them with oilbase undercoat, or an alkaline primer, or even Zinsser, and this will stop the stain bleeding through, but you need to get your ventelation sorted out.

Many thanks for both of your replies.

You are right there is a ventilation issue, but not something that can be quickly or easily resolved.

I have put both the polystirene and lining paper up now. Although I doubt it would impress a lot of you guys on here, it has come out ok.

The polystirene is a nightmare to work with, but really makes walls feel so much warmer.

In terms of painting the Lining paper, do I have to put on an undercoat?

I would be grateful if someone could tell me the best way of getting the best possible finish with painting the paper

Thanks in advance

George

Sponsored Links
hi,

i am planning to put polystyrene wall paper up this weekend to try and insulate the freezing walls in my flat, why is it a nightmare to work with? do i need to use extra strong paste or anything? I've never wall papered before.

cheers

emily

Hi Emily

It certainly makes the walls feel a lot warmer and is worth doing.

I was in same boat as you before I put it up. It is not that it is hard to put up, it is that it is very fragile and difficult to cut.

I bought a product called Warmaline from B&Q and it has its own adhesive. You must seal the walls first and then paint the adhesive directly onto the wall.

have since lined with 1400 lining paper as the polystirene finish is not great.

You will be fine and good luck

George

ps I can't believe I may have been able to offer someone else some advice on here.

Hello all,

I tried to do the same thing - polystyrene vaneer & then lining paper horizontally. Primered walls 1st.

Looked great when all put up but then the heating came on, lining paper seemed to shrink/ strtech resulting in the vaneer & lining paper both being pulled off the wall in certain areas & looking very bad, unprofessional & like it needs to be done all over again.

Can anybody indicate why this could have happened please as I don't want to star another room & it result in a waste of time like this one.

Thanks

Hi on the subject of warmline and the reason paper wont stick!
warmline is not an absorbent surface, it appears to be porous but isn't.
lining paper will not stick to it and in some cases Ive seen it tear the warmline apart as the lining dries!
i have managed to stick fresco blown vinyl over warmline but used acrylic caulk to stick the joints down.
to do this just paste the paper as normal, hang it, but caulk a thin bead down each joint and press gently, a light touch is needed .
I avoid the stuff if possible and recommend people to put a heavy grade lining on cold walls even double lining exterior walls with 1700 grade paper.
I did once see a chap insulating the cab of a land rover with warmline he used carpet spay glue and it worked! ( DONT RECOMMEND DOING THIS WITH PAPER THOUGH)
me cross llining :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back