Absolutely!...

Sponsored Links
I happened to agree with this.
The evidence suggests that a child at a bad school taught by a good teacher is better off than one with a bad teacher at a good school. The benefits of having been in the class of a good teacher cascade down the years; the same is true of the penalty for having had a bad teacher. Such effects do not fall evenly upon the population: the children who gain most from good teachers are those from disadvantaged homes in which parental time, money and books are in short supply. Being in the classroom of a great teacher is the best hope these children have of catching up with their more fortunate peers.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/mar/11/revolution-changing-way-your-child-taught

Sponsored Links
I didn't say it didn't make sense. I said it didn't make a difference.

Does that mean you always place comma after 'therefore'?
Sorry, I must have misread your comment.

If 'therefore' begins a sentence, yes.

I was taken to task for missing this:

As long as the meaning is conveyed, they who can't spell espouse it does not matter.
Why? What did I do wrong in that sentence?

I could be wrong EFLI, but I think that you really meant:

'As long as the meaning is conveyed, the actual spelling doesn't really matter'.

If that was your intention, then the "they who can't spell espouse it does not matter" creates ambiguity or uncertainty for the reader.

Discipline could be better enforced at schools
Fair enough. Should we go back to the good old days when teachers were able to discipline a child with a slipper, the cane, maybe a punch, the chair, ball-pane hammer or anything else that came to hand?
Yes and no. Slipper or cane, provided such punishments are properly witnessed and recorded. The others you mention, no.

but it is not where the rot begins
So bad families = bad kids. There are many examples of children from good families going bad. Surely good families = good kids.
It depends on the 'good' families. Parents who bully their children, yet offer little love or encouragement, often result in bad children.
Parents who offer love and encouragement, yet allow their children to get away with misbehaviour without any sort of punishment, can also result in bad children.

'As long as the meaning is conveyed, the actual spelling doesn't really matter'.
Yes but my salient point was that this is only thought by those who can't spell.

This must, therefore, be included. How would you do that?

Sorry it has to be said. The English have a tendency to be arrogant, no point in denying it..

Fair enough. Should we go back to the good old days when teachers were able to discipline a child with a slipper, the cane, maybe a punch, the chair, ball-pane hammer or anything else that came to hand.
The parents won't allow it and nor will their solicitors.

Some parents actually believe that their child is golden and that it must be everyone else in the school who is at fault. They are still blaming the school even after the child has been excluded, after many home visits, letters, recommendations etc. It is these blinkered parents who are at fault, not the teachers. Mums happy because Declan is in his room with his phone and any other devices she can occupy him with whilst she continues to get fat watching Jeremy Kyle and chomping on biscuits and smoking fags waiting for the tinnies to cool down she had to waddle across the road for, bought from one stop.

Last edited:

Yes,but my main point was,that this is only thought by those who can't spell.

This must, therefore, be included.

What must be included and where must it be included EFLI? I've forgotten. BTW, when marking scripts in the past, as long as the meaning was clear, I would always give a mark for the correct, if wrongly spelt ,answer. It would be totally wrong and unfair not to. Therefore, you're claim that this is only thought by those who can't spell, is not always the case. Here is a real example from a test paper:

Q. "Name 2 symptoms of the disease Cholera". (2)

A. "Sickness and diareah". (2 marks were given because clearly the writer meant 'diarrhoea', but like many people, was unsure of the correct spelling of the word).

And there I must end my contribution to this thread. The floor is yours EFLI.

Where did the first bad parents come from?

I know, in this thread, I should not end the sentence with a preposition so:

Whence did the first bad parents come?
We are all bad. We are predisposed to eat, sleep and procreate. We have the badness educated out of us from birth.
Teachers teach us our education. Behaviour is taught from birth.

Fair enough. Should we go back to the good old days when teachers were able to discipline a child with a slipper, the cane, maybe a punch, the chair, ball-pane hammer or anything else that came to hand.
The parents won't allow it and nor will their solicitors.

Some parents actually believe that their child is golden and that it must be everyone else in the school who is at fault. They are still blaming the school even after the child has been excluded, after many home visits, letters, recommendations etc. It is these blinkered parents who are at fault, not the teachers. Mums happy because Declan is in his room with his phone and any other devices she can occupy him with whilst she continues to get fat watching Jeremy Kyle and chomping on biscuits and smoking fags waiting for the tinnies to cool down she had to waddle across the road for, bought from one stop.

Quite. There is a mentiality among some people that means that they are allowed to behave in an anti social manner, and anyone who interferes should be bullied. I was being harassed by a small gang of children, about 15 years old, over a year and I was attacked by the older brother and sister, who should have known better. Incidentally, the older sister had odd eyes, with widely dilated pupils. At the time I thought it a physical characteristic, but looking back that can be a symptom of taking drugs such as mary jane. The police turned up, and spoke to her, so I'm surprised they did not notice that. In the end the police did not prosecute, but went round to the parents house. It was a single parent in the case of two offenders. The police said the parents were very sorry. Howevr, despite my watch being destroyed, and my neck being sore for a week, neither parent visited to apologise, so it was all pretend for the police. They just think they can do anything.

And another point, the assault on me by the older brother was actively encouraged by a passing female teacher. She said "they are just children" as if harassment is acceptable. The problem is not just in families, but with schools, and a loony left wing philosophy. I too suffered under lefty teachers, who filled me with left wing nonsense, since discarded thank goodness.

Where did the first bad parents come from?

I know, in this thread, I should not end the sentence with a preposition so:

Whence did the first bad parents come?
We are all bad. We are predisposed to eat, sleep and procreate. We have the badness educated out of us from birth.
Teachers teach us our education. Behaviour is taught from birth.

I do hope you beat yourself with birch twigs on a regular basis.

I'd say that left wing teachers are a blight on our society, and are as bad as bad parents.

Sponsored Links
Back