abutment flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cement flashing, where the lean-to roof abuts the neighbours extension has broken up since this picture was taken and the roof is leaking. I am beginning to get quotes. What are the reasonable options to repair it, please?

Prior to the fairly modern brick extension next door, the roof would probably have had a ridge. I'm guessing the cement flashing was put in when the neighbour's extension was built. Personally, I'd have preferred lead flashing.

Sponsored Links
To intall a secret gutter around £400 :eek:
The price of lead is sky high at the moment.

But this is Sussex ;) and you`ll get "someone" with a 9" angle grinder and a roll of lead to do it for less ;) - simple cover flashing over the slates . Seriously , I appreciate you suggesting a secret gutter, but getting those slates off is a bit of a b`guer. ( :confused: West Sussex, I seem to think) Would be interested to hear the eventual price . PS are we looking @ the brickwork part or the side rendered part or both ? and is it a single storey or 2 storey lean to ( cost of scaffold )

Oh well, the insurance surveyor came round yesterday... The flashing was supposed to be replaced several years ago as 'maintenance' after the last leak, but wasn't. The wind didn't reach 55 mph on the weekend in question, so no 'storm' to damage roof.

He was an ex-roofer and we had a nice chat. He dealt with previous claims over the last 10 years and warned that the Synagogue next door had not been helpful in the past with party wall problems caused by their extension. He said that lead flashing was needed to replace the asphalt, as the new extension brick wall was not tied to the original party wall. He thought nothing else would tolerate the relative movement. The roofing felt under the slates looks quite new and, hopefully, extends up under the existing flashing.

On the bright side, I can use the opportunity to clean the gutter, open holes in the roofing felt under the vents :eek:, take soil pipe vent through the roof and install a flue for a new combi-boiler. :unsure: Can I use something like window frame sealing foam between the felt and the slates to create a dam around the proposed holes under the vents to stop water coming through?

Sponsored Links
Get onto the Rabbi and remind him of the story of Joshua and Jericho - then go and buy yourself a Rams Horn :mrgreen:

I've always wanted to play the horn real bad.. and I'm sure I could. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back