Access to and converting eaves for storage...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please bear with me because I am not a tradesman and so don't know the correct terminology! :confused:

I own a 1890's victoria stone terrace which has had an attic conversion at some point before I purchased the property.

As part of the conversion, they have installed small doors to access the remaining loft space up to the exterior house walls. Unfortunately, this door is only about 350mm wide (see attached pic).

What I would like to do is make this door wider to allow better access and board the space out for storage.

The reason the door is so narrow is because at about 350mm intervals there are vertical wooden battons that support the main structural timber for the house. The existing door fits snugly between two of these battons. What I would like to know is would it be safe to remove one of these vertical battons and effectively double the width of the door?

I hope I have explained myself sufficiently and that the pictures help.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
please be patient timbeam :D :D

people give there time freely often after work ;)

Sponsored Links
pictures from a wider view showing more of the inside joists may help too.

Thanks for your comments.

Mattylad - Unfortunately, that is as wide as I could get with the camera I have :(. The width of the eaves is only about half a metre but they are 8 metres long, hence why I'd like to use them for storage ;)

Shytalkz - I gather from your picture that what I want to do is at least possible but is it something I can do myself or do I really need to get professional help?

Cheers!

I'm no pro but what I'd suggest is...

Fit a new vertical batten to the right of the existing one at the desired width for a new door frame (available at most lumbar yards/b&q's etc).

Cut the existing vertical level with the bottom of the existing horizontal batten.

Cut away the lath/plaster to the left of the new vertical & remove the old vertical batten.

Cut the old vertical batten to cover the new width & screw it onto the old horizontal batten & the new vertical (after putting in a little bit for the gap if you wish).
(this will save removing it & causing untold damage the other side as the laths will be nailed to it).

Or if the hole is not tall enough for a modern door then fit a new horizontal above the old one at the right height before removing the old one.
You will need to nail the old laths to the new battens or the will flap about.

Then fit the new door frame & new door.

I can foresee some plastering needing doing on the outside but what I have suggested should I think minimise it.

A reciprocating saw would be good here :D

How does that sound?

...is it something I can do myself or do I really need to get professional help?
All straightforward. you can chonk that middle stud without worrying that the roof will fall in on you: the head plate will span across the two adjacent studs quite happily in the interim, until you get the new lintel and cripple studs in place.

That's great, thanks a lot guys.

The wife will be happy with that!

Thanks again, take care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back