Accidents....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow - there was a pretty decent accident on one of the sites we're on Yesterday - nearly lost my life.

I don't subbie for many people, but there are a couple I usually do blockwork shells for......yesterday we were trying to cut the gables in, they decided it was a good idea to have 4 chippys there and 2 roofers - the roofers decided they didn't want the blocks being loaded out on the scaff, the chippys didn't want them on the floor so got my boys to start loading them in a corner - ****e everywhere, trusses pushing the gables all over the place - an absolute nightmare, but sometimes you put up with it for those customers you like!!

Anyway I came down stairs and noticed that the floor in the corner had started to move, went over to the corner to measure how much it had slipped and it was 50mm so we legged it upstairs to try and shift some of the weight (which wasn't really that much) and the floor just collapsed, lucky for me one of my boys was able to grab me and whip me back off of the edge as it caved in, the chippy was less fortunate and ended up dangling between floors but luckily didn't come to harm.....10 seconds previous and I was stood under it, would have been a goner!

Makes you think sometimes, its a dangerous game we're in, we need to be so vigilant......couldn't stop thinking later and got quite upset, could never have seen the wife & kids again!

Anyone else had any near misses lately?

Sponsored Links
A couple of months ago i was chatting with the grab-man as he was hauling our spoil onto his wagon.

Finished chatting and went about my business.

A few moments later he came around the back asking us if we could help.

His grab had sheared off fully loaded and hit the deck about where i was stood!

I managed to wrangle the thing back onto his truck with a 3 tonne JCB. They are huge.

And heavy.

We have had modest depth trenches cave in also, luckily without people in 'em.

I got a paper cut the other day slicing up some paper on the guillotine but like you say what can you do.

Sponsored Links
Back