acer netbook keyboard problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after starting up ok, certain keys won't operate, i.e. letters B,C,E,M,P.X..
space bar,caps lock, volume...it was working fine up to 24hrs ago,any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
Software faults may cause this. Restore the netbook to original state by using usb memory stick. Use the DVD to make a memory stick (needs at least 2 GB). Use a PC to prepare the memory stick. If you have an external DVDROM drive you don't need memory stick. Just use the DVD to restore the operating system.

If it does not work then the keyboard may be faulty. Replace the keyboard and see what happens.

The chip that handles keyboard input (Southbridge IC on the motherboard) may also cause this fault. The soldering between IC and Motherboard becomes disconnected due to heat. This IC is BGA(ball grid array) chip. If the exhaust becomes blocked due to dust the motherboard gets overheated. Exhaust means a heatsink with mesh windows that allows hot air to come out of the laptop. Fan takes cold air in and pushes hot air out through the window. After a year or two this window gets blocked for all laptops. Then the laptop becomes very hot and the solder melts and the ICs gets disconnected in some places.

Another reason why IC gets disconnected is if you put laptop on bed. It suffocates the input window. Cold air can not go in. If you run a laptop on bed or sofa then it causes overheat.

So, you can try these steps:
1. Restore the software (operating system).
2. Replace keyboard

If the above two steps does not work then your motherboard is faulty.

Hope this helps.

as a temporary solution, you could try plugging a USB keyboard in. If that doesn't work, it would rule out the netbook keyboard as being a problem

forgot to mention that it is only 10 months old,i did a restore to the factory default settings, but still no joy..so i rang acer and was told to go to the on screen keyboard which is found in accessories,it worked fine on that,so now i have to pack it off to acer for them to look at,and if it turns out to be a software problem i'm out of pocket by £68. but i can't see that being the case when i did a factory restore and it was still the same.come to mention it, it seemed a little bit hot,so i wonder if it as got anything to do with the fan side of it melting something or other.anyway i'll found out in a week or so when they tested it, who knows it could be this that and the other and they could still ring me up and say it was a soft ware problem...and £68 will do nicely thankyou.... ;)

Sponsored Links
And what did you pay £68 while the computer is in warranty? TS or BS? Did you spill something into the keyboard?

Back