ACL Lifestyle mid position valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have browsed the posts regarding failure of the above valve and I think it's a faulty PCB, what are your thoughts please.

Problem: I can get hot water fine but no central heating.
The thermostat is working O.K.

With hot water selected on control unit - If I override (with the knurled button at the end) I can get the WMH lever to manual and lock it in place - result heating.

With heating selected on control unit - If I override (with the knurled button at the end) I can get the boiler to fire up and the pump running but it won't lock in place so it drops back to either W or M (if locked). Locked in position M with just heating selected - nothing!!

Presumably the microswitch is O.K. as it fires up.

Sponsored Links
Presumably the microswitch is O.K. as it fires up.
The micro-switches only have any effect when you want CH and HW at the same time or just CH on its own.

The valve does nothing when you have HW on by itself.

How comfortable are you playing with electrics, e.g connecting and disconnecting wires (not live ;))?

Thanks for the reply.

No problem regarding wires, live or otherwise.

Today it's started working again !!

Yesterday I tried to 'free' the valve by overriding it several times with the button, I'm guessing this is the reason it's working again.

The WMH is pointing to Heating now.

One thing I have noticed is the system seems quieter than it did before :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hope "D_Hailsham" sees this post as he appeared to have some avenues to explore.

I am still without heating unless I over ride the WMH switch to manual and put the water on !!

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

You appear to get CH along with HW, but as soon as HW is satisfied, the valve is supposed to move to CH only position. Your valve is either not moving beyond mid position, or if it is then it does not light the boiler.
In CH only mode, power to light boiler comes from valves orange wire.
In HW mode or HW/CH mode the power is supplied through the cylinder stat.
Of course it could be the valve is stiff, so it would be better to first remove the head off the spindle and test spindle. Should be able to turn it with finger and thumb.
The motor has to work against the resistance of the valve and the return spring.
Other than that, the actuator head is likely to have faulty micro switches with dirty/burnt contacts, so replacing the head is next best option.
This assumes of course that there is no problem with wiring.

Thanks for the reply Mandate, I will take a look at the weekend and see if that helps - Cheers

Thanks for your help, I've checked all the wiring and micro switches and everything was fine, it turned out to be a dead motor.

Found a supplier of genuine replacements for around £12

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back