Acrylic Eggshell, smooth finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

After reading about using Acrylic Eggshell to paint kitchen doors, I thought I'd give it a go.

I purchased Johnstones Acrylic Gloss + Johnstones Acrylic Primer.

Put 3 coats of primer on with a brush, sanded it lightly, primed it again. It was looking smooth 24hrs later, so I started painting the eggshell on the sides and rolling the top. I have now given it 5 coats of eggshell (over 3 days).

The result is nice, but not what I expected. :eek:

It has a texture on it, I thought it would be much smoother. It can't be the original texture of the wood coming through because I can't even see the primer lines, so it must be the roller that is causing this?

How can I get it smoother? Feather it with a brush after rolling? OR any better rollers out there. Thank you for any guidance :)

Sponsored Links
Sand it flat with green sandpaper (60/80 grit) and thin the paint down a bit then do the brush thingy as softly as you can.

Oh and sponge rollers are for oil based paints.

Thanks for the post!

How do I thin it down? With water?
And to what ratio?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just a dribble of water until you get the flow you are looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back