1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Acrylic eggshell

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by alarman, 3 Apr 2011.

1. alarman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi ive got to paint a dental surgery, would you recommend using acrylic eggshell? is there much difference between brands is Leyland any good?

Thx

2. misterhelpful

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would recommend it for any commercial sort of job. I like Glidden trade, which gives a nice even finish, but most trade versions - including Leyland - are good, and similarly priced.
    You might want to use something like Johnstones anti-bacterial eggshell as it's a dental surgery - expensive though - about £50 for 5litres if I remember rightly! :eek:

3. alarman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thx for quick reply

4. delberto

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    just used the leyland on my own doors and frames. it covers ok, is reasonable pricewise but it starts drying very quickly!!! I used some floetrol and some water too but even with that it was hard keeping a wet edge- even when rolling out flush doors and then brushing through.
    I did each face in 4 sections but even at that it was touch n drag at times.......

at least it'll stay white much longer than oil.....so worth the 3 coats in the long run ;-D

5. dalston

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    New question:

Dulux - Glidden - Leylands ... my impression is similar price and similar product? If anyone have strong preferences do let me know.

I am going to paint the walls of an entire 50 sqm flat white. I am roughly calculating 80 - 100 sqm worth of wall to be painted white. The condition of the walls is pretty good, but it is currently painted in quite lively colours so I am anticipating 3 to 5 coatings. At a stretch I might find myself painting up to 500 sqm in total.

Can anyone give me a link to the best priced bulk buy of white eggshell acrylic?
    This must be a good buy?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dulux-Trade-D...-White-5L_W0QQitemZ230590625989QQcmdZViewItem

Is there any point int applying undercoating when the eggshell costs no more than the undercoating?