Adapting water system to incorporate pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to advise me?

I currently have a gravity fed system. The pressure to the taps are very poor (as can reasonably be expected), however the shower is powered by a pump.

I am considering my options. Would be is be possible (and if so how easy / difficult would it be) to adapt my plumbing to use the pump to power my taps and bath as well.

In my simple mind I am wondering if it is as easy as just slightly rerouting the pipes to incorporate the pump?

In case it helps (apologies if it doesn't) I have included a photo of my hot water tank.

Just fyi its a quality Stuart Turner 2 bar pump.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can but you may need to upgrade your pump. If it is fed by 15mm pipes/flexis then it won't be sufficient to use multiple outlets at the same time. The only problem when doing this is that your toilets will be pumped and that means the pump going off in the middle of the night when someone needs to empty their bladder. Having actually looked at your photo it looks like you have a Stuart turner monsoon pump which would be adequate for whole house.

You also need to investigate whether your existing pump can cope with pumping just a hot or cold tap individually ie. with one end closed.

Many pumps will pop their seals as the friction of churning the water in the closed end impeller will heat the water to the point that the expansion will cause an unacceptable rise in pressure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah thats the correct pump. It feeds via 22mm pipe so I assume it will be able supply my house and my understanding is that it can supply hot/ cold independently go not believe that would be an issue.

How difficult would it be to amend the water supply to incorporate the pump. As per the photo the pump is located next to the hot water tank. Is it as simple as re-routing one of the pipes that leave the pump to go via the pump and the cold feed from the tank or would it be more complex than that?

Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back