Add second story to bungalow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow 7m x 11m.

None of the internal walls are load bearing.

I am told the existing foundations might support a second story.

How much would you expect it to cost to take the roof off, add a story, and then put the roof back on?

Sponsored Links
Approx £80 depending on access, fixtures, finish, etc. I'd check those foundations before you spend a lot of time on it though. Get your spade out and dig a hole. You want to know; depth and dimensions of concrete. Condition of concrete. Type and condition of bearing soil?

Well spotted. Eighty quid won't even cover the tea bags. Add a few 0s to that.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing you mean 80K. ;) That's about double what I thought it might be. I thought it might be a lot less if there was no need to do the foundations and if I could reuse the roof and tiles.

A random figure for a random bungalow

Detached 1970s bungalow 7m x 11m
Foundations OK as they are
No internal load bearing walls
Re-use the roof and roof tiles
Put a new bathroom above the existing one, plus an en-suite.
About 8 new UPVC windows
All basic fittings
Easy access
East Anglia region

80k is near to the mark.

Forget re-using the roof wood as it won't even be worth the time to de-nail let alone the time and care needed to remove without damaging. Besides which the timbers will probably be 'tired' and will almost certainly have permanent sag.

You will also probably need to rip out all the electrics and start again.

And any plumbing that is in the loft space also.

Your romantic notion of just slotting in some walls is fantasy.

The job is more akin to ripping the lot out and leaving a basic floor shell as it would be on a new build. Not even the original plaster will be any use by the time you have added new electrics, plumbing etc.

Your romantic notion of just slotting in some walls is fantasy.

OUCH! is there really a need for that?

If you think you can do that amount of work for £40k then sadly there is a need for that! It is virtually a rebuild cost you are looking at and as an absolute minimum you are looking at about £100/sq ft for a very basic fit out and that only accounts for the "new" part, the cost to fix the original ground floor is also going to be substantial enough. It is the small things that add up but why don't you get a couple of local builders out and ask them to give you an estimate for what you want done. However, remember all of the costs you are likely to have such as decorating, floor finishes, bathroom (s) etc. to decide if it is affordable or not.

I don't know why it should be so expensive, but since everyone so far seems to think it will be, take a look at SIP's panels and other roof options like u-roof which go up quickly, it's labour not materials where the most significant costs lie.

I have a bungalow 7m x 11m.

None of the internal walls are load bearing.

I am told the existing foundations might support a second story.

How much would you expect it to cost to take the roof off, add a story, and then put the roof back on?

The only way to find out the real costs is to get estimates ....but make sure it is from reputable builders and the cheapest option is not always the best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back