Adding a circulation pump to existing central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok folks, this takes some explaining but please bear with me...

In short my existing CH system is an open vented system with an oil fed boiler (HW & CH) and also an AGA with back boiler that provides the hot water when on in winter. There are two separate coils in the hot water cylinder, on plumbed into boiler and one for the AGA.

The cottage is of some age and in its original for the Aga used was also plumbed in to the CH system consisting of 2 rads upstairs and 3 rads downstairs. There was a pump situated in the system as the wiring is still in place but I am not entirely sure where.

Over time as the cottage grew in size a boiler was added as the demand would have been too great for the aga.

The system works fine as it is but the problem is the aga creates way too much hot water and it is just being wasted.

I came up with the idea of reconnecting two rads to vent some heat from the system thus providing some extra warmth to the house and also dropping the HW temp to a more desirable temp. (pic 1)

So far I have located the original flow and return that fed the old rads and connected them back into the system.

I have added 2 gate valves that allow me to isolate 2 radiators from the boiler fed system and supply them from the aga fed system. (Pic 2)

I now need to add a circulation pump on a timer to get the system up and running.

My problem is where to add the pump.

I could add to the 28mm pipe directly next to the aga, apart from looking a mess are there any objections? (Pic 3)

I could add it on the flow before the cold water feed with some adjustments (pic 4) but would this cause water to be pushed up the vent pipe?

I could add it very easily after the vent pipe before the HW cylinder (pic 5) but would this cause suction from vent pipe?

Any thoughts greatly received? I appreciate I could just leave it as is an use the boiler but where is the fun in that!

Sponsored Links
here is a basic drawing of the actual system, would it be better to just add the pump on the 15mm feeding the rads?

Ideally in the cupboard upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back