adding a foot on to already approved plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been granted planning permission for an outside staircase which will provide access from my kitchen to the garden below. The permission has been granted for a 4 ft wide platform which is the same width as the doors. As it means the doors will open out directly on to the staircase railing. I want to increase the width of the platform to 5 ft. If I go ahead and do this without getting more permission what will happen if it is noticed on inspection?

Sponsored Links
The best route is to ask for a minor amendment but weather or not they will view it as minor is anyone guess. Best thing is to talk to them, if they spot it on inspection or later (up to 4 years) they could ask you to rectify it & if you don't, could serve you with an enforcement notice which will give you a lot of unwanted hassly & possibly cost.

If I go ahead and do this without getting more permission what will happen if it is noticed on inspection?

You would open yourself up for enforcement action, which could result in works terminating on site until a retrospective application is submitted. There's not a guarantee this application would be approved but it seems quite minor, so it may be ok. But nobody can predict the planning system and their decisions.

Your best bet would be to speak to them to see the best way forward and if an officer gave you some verbal confirmation, don't think that, that will do. Have it confirmed in writing to save you problems in the future.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what issues were deemed relevant when the initial application was dealt with. If no over-looking problems then it may be done as a rider to the existing permission, if not then a new application and consultation would be required

Any reason why you brought up a thread that is over two years old? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back