Adding an extra downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could anyone help ? I have wired a daisy chain of 12 downlights and I want to add another.
My (probably silly question is) can I wire it to the nearest accessible downlight or do I need to access the start of run ?

Sponsored Links
You would normally take it from the end of the run (not the start) but if it's easier to do it from one in the middle, that's fine - assuming you can safely get all 3 sets of cables into the connector of the fitting you're coming off. You may want to use a suitable junction box.

There are many types of down lighter. With low voltage (230 Vac) there should be no problem where every you decide to tap into. With extra low voltage (12 Volt) often there is a limit to length of extra low voltage cable both due to volt drop and the frequencies used could cause a transmission if too long and could cause all sorts of problems as a result. So with extra low voltage you need to read the info for the unit which drops the voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back