Adding an extra socket on same wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit another socket at the other end of a 6ft wall. I want to chase the cable in the wall. Can I run the cable down to where the skirting will be, run it behind this then to the socket or is this against some regulation? :confused:

Sponsored Links
all cables should be vertical. what if you "fix" the skirting later..........bang

can you not run it from under the floor or from the room above, either way it will be vertical

You may chase horizontally from one socket to the next, this is fine.

There is alot of controversy with regards cable behind skirting, I would say it contravines the regs, others seem to think its ok.

could you not create 2 batons off the wall and then fit the skirting to that, if you put a nice mould on the top it doesn't look to bad. The cables then can be run horizontally and free from nails etc. You could even cover the cable behind the skirting in some trunking.... The only thing is is that if you move house and the person hasn't got an understanding of how the house is wired up then you could have problems i agree.

If you can't run cables horizontally then how would one supply plug sockets, T.V ariels and telephones into conservatories? as we shouldn't put wire into the cavities due to degrading etc.

Sponsored Links
horizontally from a fitting is a permitted rout

so you could wire horizontally socket-socket and be perfectly compliant

the problem with what you describe ademz is that not being proper trunking people can't easilly tell it contains cables and a nail or screw would go straight though it

ok i see your point in relation to the trunking... but say if you had a conservatory on a dwarf wall the interior block was plastered, is it then ok to come horizontaly say and extend a ring main... we wouldn't be able to come down as the conservatory is there.... would you put the wires in a trunking for this purpose and then plaster over it.

as said if the socket is in a direct horizontal ine from where you bury the cable you are fine

if not then its time to use earthed metal conduit or a cable with an earth layer built in (micc/swa/fp200)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back