Adding an extra socket...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone!..

Just a coupla quickies... i want to add a couple of twin sockets to my bed room... i already have 2 twin sockets on one wall (same wall).. and want to add 2 more on the opposite wall.. iv had a look at the wiki but just want to clear up a coupla things... 1) can i spur off from an existing socket? - this is how i was shown in the past but the pic on wiki shows a junction box being used.. just wanted to make sure there wasn't a new regulation about this... 2) can i take more than 1 spur from a socket? - like a said i want to add 2 more twin sockets... 3) if i can not take more than 1 spur from a socket can i use a triple socket instead of twin?...

easy peasy for you guys im sure!

Sponsored Links
why not make them part of the ring, better in the long run, oh and there is part P

yeh that probably wouldv been a good idea if it was thought of before the flooring went down and the room was wall papered and painted and decorated... its actually not my room but my brothers room... he still has to add new skirting boards and we were gona run the wire behind the skirting by running a channel into the wall.. aahh.. heres another question... does the wire have to have some kinda sleaving??...

how does the part P affect this?...

Well, its a sad day when a DIYer cannot add a double socket to an ordinary domestic circuit without the hindrance of Part P bureaucracy.

Your best solution is to add a single spur from a ring final circuit socket to a 13A fused connection unit (FCU). I would suggest that its sensible to fit the FCU right next to the source socket. With the 13A protection you can then add as many sockets, in parallel, to that spur, as you want.

Behind the skirting board is likely to be a "safe" zone for unprotected cables. However, a sensible person would consider how skirting boards are normally fixed to the wall (nails!) and he should bury the cables well back inside the wall.

Sponsored Links
Behind the skirting board is NOT a safe zone. :rolleyes:
unless
the cable is buried more than 50mm from the surface
or
enclosed in earthed steel conduit

Would have been so much easier to do a good job...

"if it was thought of before the flooring went down and the room was wall papered and painted and decorated."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back