Adding an extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add another double socket on the ground floor to accomodate a power source for broadband etc. The problem I have is the floor is concrete and the nearest existing socket is approx six feet away. (and i1ve just decorated that room!)

I am thinking of running a spur from the first floor where there are floor boards and the access is easier and run the cable to the new socket via trunking.

The problem with this is that the new socket will run off the ring circuit for the upstairs supply, whereas I would have preferred that it was on the same circuit as the remaining points on the ground floor, however I cannot see an alternative.Is there a problem I have not considered yet?

Sponsored Links
The problem with this is that the new socket will run off the ring circuit for the upstairs supply, whereas I would have preferred that it was on the same circuit as the remaining points on the ground floor, however I cannot see an alternative.Is there a problem I have not considered yet?
As long as you make sure the CU is properly labeled so that someone won't turn off the "downstairs sockets" and think that the new one is also dead it's not a problem, and it can be useful to have a socket downstairs still working, e.g. for tools, if you've turned the circuit off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back