Adding an outside porch lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I currently have an inside porch lamp and single switch, and I want to add an outside lamp(PIR type). I would like to change the inside single switch to a double switch for isolation purposes for the outside one. The inner single switch has no neutral, and is hot live switched.
Any thoughts on how I can wire up the outside one and swap my single switch to a double. i.e will I have to go to the ceiling rose or should I just start a fresh spur with a junction box.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the access and cable routing.

You will need a cable from a supply somewhere - the light operated by the present switch would be better than a junction box, then
1. to the switch and then the light or
2. to the light and then the switch or
3. one cable to the light and another to the switch.

If 3. you can replace the existing switch cable with four core (3 core + earth)

Many thanks,
I can get a feed from the existing light to the new light and a cable from the new light into the back of the switch patress box, so I think option 2 sound best for me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back