Adding PIR to one outside lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have two existing outside lights at the side of the house, switched independantly from a double switch inside the side door.
I would like one (close to the side door) to operate via a PIR so I can see to get the key in the lock when dark!.
I would also like to be able to switch it on and off as neccessary.
How do I wire in a seperate PIR to do this?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could buy an outdoor PIR unit and fit it where you like( ideally near the door you'd be standing at to find the lock) the cable that goes to the light at the minute, from the switch, this would need diverting into the PIR unit, then another twin core and earth cable from the PIR up to the light you want controlling.... Within the PIR unit the neutrals will be connected straight through with just the live wires being switched through the PIR.... Make sure the PIR you buy has a suitable IP rating for outside, IP 56 maybe.
This way will let you turn the light off immediately via the current internal switch, when u turn this switch on, you will have to activate the PIR, Via movement, in order to turn the light on...... PIR sensitivity and lighting times can be adjusted on most PIR units now....

Sponsored Links
For full control with the ability to over ride both ON and OFF this ciruit will do.

It will mean adding a third switch where you have two at the moment.

I like Steinel PIRs, I find them reliable.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STIS180S.html

Also available in black or white.

They do not have the internal over ride on feature which in some PIRs can result in the lamp staying on after a mains glitch.

You need to place the PIR in a position where you walk across its field of view as they are much less sensitive to people walking towards them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back