Adding remote switch to ceiling light whilst keeping functionality of wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, long time moocher first time poster. I have a 4 input remote switch with 220v in, And 4 coloured outputs for the switched lives. How could I wire this so that I keep the on/off functionality of the wall switch? I am aiming to be able to use either the remote switch or wall switch independently.

Thanks in advance all!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave & welcome.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand any of what you are describing, or what you want to achieve. Some photo's would be really useful.

What is "a 4 input remote switch"

And "coloured outputs for the switched lives"

What is the functionality you want to keep?

Last edited:
This is the thing here, what I am looking to do is either be able to turn the ceiling light on with either the remote control or the wall switch. The 4 way bit just means it has the ability to switch on/off 4 devices.

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 324
Sponsored Links
To switch a light on and off from two positions, you would need to use 'two way' switches. But all 4 are 'one way' switches. The existing wall switch would also have to be a 'two way' switch and you would likely have to run an additional wire to it also.

I have had a look and a think. In answer to your basic question
How could I wire this so that I keep the on/off functionality of the wall switch? I am aiming to be able to use either the remote switch or wall switch independently.
The answer is not at all easily.

First of all, if you use that AYK048 device, to purely operate the light, it will need to be powered from the lighting circuit, not from a wall socket.
Secondly, I guess that, if the light is on (from the wall switch) you want to be able to turn it off from the bed? That box only has make contacts, and you would need changeover contacts, so you would need a mains relay that has changeover contacts.
Even if you could engineer and achieve that, you would then need a 3-core and earth cable running to the light switch from the AYK048 (or perhaps the light fiting, depending on how your wiring is done).

That seems like an awful lot of work, and wiring. Have you thought about having a bedside light?:D

More seriously, you could replace your wall switch with a remote control dimmer like this

there is a remote pad that you can buy for a fiver.

You can then operate the light either from the doorway, or from your cozy bed. AND you can get romantic by dimming the light!! Job done..

How could I wire this so that I keep the on/off functionality of the wall switch?
With the device you have - not possible. It also appears to have single insulated wires so even if it is used, it must be installed inside a suitable box / enclosure.

If you really want to do that, and the existing light is looped at the light rather than the switch, then
a. buy one of these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMESR1.html and install into the ceiling adjacent to the light
b. replace the cable from the light to the existing switch with 3 core and earth, connect to the item above together with the light and mains power.
c. buy one of these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMEST1.html and a suitable switch, install wherever you want.
d. pair the new switch and receiver.

If replacing the existing cable to the switch is too difficult, completely disconnect the cable to the existing switch at both ends, buy a second transmitter unit and install it behind the existing switch.

Thanks all for your help, I think I will give that idea a miss then.

One more question - could I use this type of remote to bypass the fan speed control in my ceiling fan/light combo? At the moment there is a chain that is pulled with 4 settings,
  • Off
  • Low
  • Medium
  • High
Is this something that is possible?

Thanks again

Chipping in a bit late but we have the Lightwave RF kit and its really good.

Ah, didn't think so - just have a few left over from a project so am trying to find a way to use them.... for anything....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back