Adding sludge remover to central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to plumbing matters so i hope somebody out there can point me in the right direction.

I have bourght some sentinal x400 sludge remover which i want to add to my central heating system. I've got an relatively old potterton netaheat boiler but I am not sure if it is a sealed or open system. There is a header tank in the roof... but there has been an external pressure/expansion vessel fitted on the outside of the bolier.

Can i add the sludge remover to the header tank (if i drain some of the water from it first)? or does the fact there is an external expansion vessel mean it is a closed system?

Cheers

Myles

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel means sealed and the tank in your loft probably feeds your hot water cylinder, dont tip it in there!!

Easy enough diy job still if your confident on draining and filling your system back up??

I have located the drain down point where the pipes come out the house at lowest point... so i think i can drain the system.

Not so sure how/where to add the sludge remover (and inhibitor at a later date). Is the only way using a rapid dose kit at one of the rads? i dont have a towel rail in the house as i read that can be an easy place to add chemicals via a funnel.

Also to refill system, would i just turn the isolator valve to open which feeds water to the expansion vessel??

any further advice really appreciated

Depends on what style of rads you have but the rapid dose kits are relatively easy to use with not much mess.

Should be a silver braided hose with a valve either end which may well be next to your expansion vessel if you have a robokit or similar fitted

Sponsored Links
Hello people

I've got an relatively old potterton netaheat boiler but I am not sure if it is a sealed or open system. There is a header tank in the roof... but there has been an external pressure/expansion vessel fitted on the outside of the bolier.

Can i add the sludge remover to the header tank (if i drain some of the water from it first)? or does the fact there is an external expansion vessel mean it is a closed system?

Cheers

Myles

Hope it has the optional overheat stat fitted then as the Netaheats were not approved for sealed system use without one. A red coloured button and base, fitted if I recall correctly, on a bracket on the side of the control box behind the bottom tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back