Adding to a radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I currently have a 16A radial circuit which goes directly from the CU to a socket round the back of the (wall mounted) TV. There's nothing else connected to this radial, so the draw is minimal (250w or so for the TV). The single socket is wired in 2.5 T+E.

I would like a socket to be added into the understairs cupboard (ie, where the CU is located), but don't have any ways left on the CU. The only devices on this socket will be my broadband router which draws 1.5a (12v) and my NAS disk which pulls 1a @ 240v. By my ever so rough calculations, this is well within the 16A limit of the MCB. My problem is, I can't add to the end of the radial as it terminates about 4 metres away, across a newly plastered room.

I will not be doing the work myself, my electrician is coming over for some other work, but wanted to know the feasibility of how it can be done (ie, quickly) before I ask him.

As I see it, the options are:
- break the cable just after it comes out of the CU. Add a JB with the radial splitting off to the existing and new socket.
- have the new socket connected to the MCB, alongside the existing cable. Are you allowed to fit two forks of a radial directly to the same MCB, as one would with a ring circuit?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
- have the new socket connected to the MCB, alongside the existing cable. Are you allowed to fit two forks of a radial directly to the same MCB, as one would with a ring circuit?

Cheers :)

That is the way to do it. A length of 2.5mm² cable connected to the existing 16amp MCB.

I am assuming this circuit is RCD protected?

Yep, brand new fully RCD protected split load board. The socket is an afterthought as I'd worked with my sparkie to get every socket and circuit where I wanted them, and had just started thinking about where to terminate my data connections before VM install my broadband on Friday.

And glad that method is the recommended way of doing it, it's infinitely more tidy than having JBs hanging off a brand new install.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back