Additional beam support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At long last I've got around to repairing a door way in our old house. There must have been a leak from a drain above for many years as the upright in the wall that frames the doorway (a 3x3 oak post) had completely turned to dust.

I've pulled the old upright out and removed the door frame upright but I'd like some advice about whether to bother trying to provide some additional support for a supporting beam above.

As far as I can tell the beam above the door is sound for which I count myself lucky as clearly it will have been damp for many years. My concern about trying to provide addition support is that if the beam does fail in the socket the load will move from the wall to the floor because of my support. Clearly the floor joists aren't designed to take the load.

Anyway it's hard to describe so I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back