Adjustable kitchen cabinet legs move too easily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

When installing kitchen cabinets, the adjustable legs move very easily after being set at the correct height. I have also noticed over time that they have slipped slightly.

Is there a way of locking them firmly in-place?

Thank you for any suggestions! :D

Si

Sponsored Links
Use what you have to hand. How about Mitre-Mate or a blob of hot melt glue?

I've tried glue gun, it helped a lot but would still sometimes give, it seemed the glue wouldn't bond brilliantly with the black plastic. I might try something a little stronger.

Using jubilee clips would make any subsequent adjustments easier, after all, that is what these legs are for! It would be a lot easier if they had a bit more friction so they kept in their place.

I'm planning to latex screed the floor first, so might see if I can just use wooden blocks instead of the legs. I like to do things that are robust!

Thanks again, Si

Sponsored Links
Once the cupboards are joined together and the plinths are in place, the units wont shift.....they will be stronger again when the tops are in place so adjustment on the legs is really a convenience during the construction.
Hope your project goes well!
John :)

Hi All,

When installing kitchen cabinets, the adjustable legs move very easily after being set at the correct height. I have also noticed over time that they have slipped slightly.

Is there a way of locking them firmly in-place?

Thank you for any suggestions! :D

Si
After being set at correct height they should be fixed to each other and the wall allowing no further movement.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Although I take on-board that this shouldn't really be necessary, once cabinets are screwed to the wall and together, I have worked out how I am going to lock them in-place.

I will drill a 2mm or 3mm hole through both thread and outer housing and put a screw through the hole. This will firmly lock it and make it stronger. Easy to take screw out if legs are re-used or need adjustment.

Thanks again, Si :D

When I was installing base units for a previous kitchen I noticed that after a certain point the feet became unstable if extended too far - personally I didn't trust them enough and in places put a block of wood under one or two so that the feet could be retracted. I didn't screw them to anything they just sit on top to give the units a bit of support. I don't trust anything that wobbles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back