Adjusting upvc - Hinge and/or heel and toe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed the upvc door for my garage rear entrance does not latch correctly.

So, first thought was a quick adjustment on the latch plate but to no avail.

A closer look showed that the door latch is making contact about 5mm below the latch plate.

So, a quick read on the forum history (yes! I read other forum posts!) suggested a heel and toe is the best fix, and/or hinge adjustments is another option.

I used a half meter level on the door.

The frame is about 1/3 of a bubble off level (I have no idea if that is the best way to describe it).

The door looked to be 2/3 of a bubble (if not a bit more) off level.

Given the issue, which method is the best way to resolve this?

In addition, is there a method for adjusting the hinges? Which order should they be adjusted. I assume the top and bottom make most of the differance in terms of the level. Do I let one out and pull one in?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We would need a pic of the hinges as there are about 100 different types.
If its 5mm out your going to want to heel and toe though. A good thing to check is if the corner welds on the doors are matching the corner welds on the frame.

To heel and toe you need to take the glazing beads out and you should see some packers above the glass on the handle side of the door.
You can lift the handle side of the door (with your foot,a pump or make a wood lever or something) and slide an extra packer of the thickness needed above the glass. The packer wants to be something non compressible but soft like PVC.
Do all of this while keeping a hand or your body against the glass to prevent it from falling out.

Try the door and if it all works and locks put the beads back in.

Just to clarify, when I say 5mm below the latch plate. I mean 5mm out of alignment with the latch plate.

Not that the whole latch bolt is 5mm below the plate.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, when I say 5mm below the latch plate. I mean 5mm out of alignment with the latch plate.

Not that the whole latch bolt is 5mm below the plate.

Dont worry I got it. If it was that low you would have major problems lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back