ADSL Broadband filtering

Sponsored Links
From what I've read phones with their own bell circuit only need wires 2 and 5.

So if the bell wire is no. 3 and for 2 wire phones no. 3 wire is not needed, a bell filter is not required so a BT Accelerator has no advantage?

It is POSSIBLE for the bell ringing wire to radiate interference which MAY degrade broadband.

The filtered iPlate or front cover includes an extra inductor to reduce this radiated interference.

So IF you suffered from degraded broadband as a result of this radiation you MIGHT get improved broadband by using these extra filters.

Lot of ifs, buts and possibilities involved.

If you just wire your system without connecting the bell wire then you will obviously get no improvement. Remember some phones still need this bell ringing supply but in this case simply use an adsl filter with that particular phone as these sipply the bell ringing current.

Sponsored Links
If you havea newish NTE5a, the bell ring filtering inductor has been included as part of the NTE.

Visible here:

NTE5filter.jpg

If you don't have this bulge, the iplate accelerator will add this filter to the ring wire.

So without the bell wire attached at the master socket, IE only wires 2 & 5 connected, the bell filter is redundant?

For modern phones with their own bell circuit, requiring only wires 2 & 5, BT iPlates and broadband accelerators also serve NO purpose for speed improvements with ADSL ?

Just from experimentation, I've discovered that my ADSL is no faster at the master socket text socket than when plugged into a 10 meter extension.

I get around about 2.6Mbits test speeds which I suppose is good considering the exchange is about 4km away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back